Intake Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Ports

I posted question earlier but did't know how to restate my question using old thread. The port sizes I refered to are in pic, what I nwant to know is there a casting nomber for the different sizes as shown in pic - mostly interested in the 232 ci intake. THANKSClick image for larger version

Name:	intake 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1733732

Those port sizes are from a Dick Datson publication. The smaller ports shown are the standard size ports from 55-64. The larger ports on the right is an R3-R4 size manifold and is extremely rare, and will in no way ever fit non R3 heads.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

mostly interested in the 232 ci intake
      Without a clue as to what you are trying to do, either in this thread or the previous one, we just can't figure a way to help you. FWIW, the 232" intake has small passages, to match with the small valves and ports on the 232" heads.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I guess that main reason is I'd like to buy an intake for a 232 and not another size because the runner ports vary in size. I see intakes for sale but usualy don't state year or engine that they were removed from and I would like to know a way of identifying them.

Comment

Alexander, nothing could be easier. Just post a "Wanted 232" intake manifold." on here and you'll get several offers at scrap prices.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Let's narrow it down for you.
            If you have the original heads on an early V8 (232), the ports are smaller than they are on later models.
            The clamping down method is a little bit different, too.
            The coice of intake manifolds is easy.
            You have the stock 2bbl intake (takes a 2bbl 'side inlet' downdraft carb).
            You could rebuild your carb and keep going...
            Or....
            You could swap a later style 2bbl downdraft carb and intake with a stock air cleaner...
            (You'll need the later style mount clamps and bolts)
            Or...
            You can search out and try to find an old Offenhauser aluminum 4 barrell intake.
            That also has the smaller port runners.
            But it also has a carb base flange that is real small, and finding a good carb for that manifold will be hard...and expensive.
            And on top of that, you will have to find the matching Offenhauser air hat to hook up to your air filter so the hood will clear everything.
            An adapter for the Offy intake can be made, but hood clearance is going to be something to keep in mind.
            Thin Avanti motor mounts can help, but then you also have to pay attention to driveline alignment and fan to shroud clearance.
            Or....
            Just put a later model 4bbl intake on
            Either a WCFB intake and carb, or an AFB converted 2bbl intake, and AFB modified WCFB 4 bbl intake, or a late model AFB intake...
            All the latter will require the later mounting clamps and bolts (no big deal),
            and an aftermarket 'thin' air cleaner (for hood clearance).
            Yes, you will have some port size differences, and ultimate performance might be slightly affected...
            But overall performance will be better...if...If you put a small, small, small 4bbl carb on there.
            Easy to over carb that engine.
            HTIH (Hope the info helps)
            Jeff

Originally posted by Alexander Feiman View Post
            I guess that main reason is I'd like to buy an intake for a 232 and not another size because the runner ports vary in size. I see intakes for sale but usualy don't state year or engine that they were removed from and I would like to know a way of identifying them.
            Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I go to Reedsville and York swap meets and have found several intakes (2 brl) but none have the small ports. I want a useable 232 intake to machine and play with I don't want to use the one on my car. I probally will post a wanted add before going to the swap meets. THANKS

Comment

One way of telling, is that the 232 intakes don't have the 4 end holes (1on each corner). They clamped down with just four center bolts and long clamps. If you did change to a later manifold, you would have to drill and tap the heads for the end holes.
                Last edited by bezhawk; 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

HEY Alexander, Would you like to buy one of these setups ? I have one for sale.

Comment

LOOKS GREAT but I'm just playing aroud with what I have and just wanted to trying to machine my own intake.

i

Comment

Send me a note and I'll share some idea's with you...
                      Jeff

Originally posted by Alexander Feiman View Post
                      LOOKS GREAT but I'm just playing aroud with what I have and just wanted to trying to machine my own intake.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There are four different part numbers for the small-port 1951-54 V8 intakes. Some of these were machined from the same casting. I don't know how many different castings were used for those years. The only one I have in my file is 154731. I think the casting numbers were on the bottom of the early manifolds.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

There must be something wrong with that casting number, a 232 is too old for a "15" Part/Casting Number, and all others start with a "5" and have 6 Digits.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Once you decide what you need, I have some 232 intakes. I will send you one for shipping cost.

Comment

Muddy waters: here is a photo of a 1951/232 (ser #V34313) with the intake manifold which has the four bolt holes on the corners, which are not used because the heads are not drilled and taped for bolts.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	232 Intake A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1670231

Comment

Working...
                              X