Intake Numbers and cfm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Numbers and cfm

What are the casting numbers for the intake manifolds? I know the port sizes are different but are the casting numbers different. I've searched web but can't find an answer. Also were the 2brl backdraft carbs different cfm rated, if so how do I identify differences? Thanks ahead for any replies

To identify the differences between a back facing Carb. top and a down draft type, you would look up the Jet sizes in the Fuel Section of the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog for each year. Or compare the Stromberg WW 6-XXX Numbers in the Cat. vs on your Carbs.

If you have both types, just measure the throttle throats, '51-'54 232's are NOT the same as '55-'58 259/289 backdrafts or '59-'64 Down Drafts.

Basically, 2 Barrel Manifolds are either the High Rise type '51-'58 used with a backdraft carb. and a remote air cleaner, or the Low Rise type '59-'64 used with a downdraft and Top of Carb. mounted Air Cleaner. These are the ones with the 4 Barrel "shape" cast in, to be machined as a 2 or 4 Brl. and can be re-machined from 2 to 4.

All port OPENING sizes are the same, as the same Intake Gaskets are used 1951 all the way to 1964 except 1964 R3/R4, now what is INSIDE of those intake runners, I have no idea!

No CFM's were ever given, you could use the formula for the cubic inch engine size vs Carb. size needed and come pretty close.

There are quite a few Casting Numbers, depending on the Choke Heater type, Coil Mounting screw holes or not etc. etc. I would not worry about those, that is why I described how to tell the diff.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi, Alexander,

Suggest you spell out what you are trying to accomplish. Fer sure, someone here has probably done something similar and can point the way to the parts combination you need.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Like Jack says, what's your goal ?

The basic port sizes are pretty much...the same. Cept for as Rich says the R3/R4 manifolds.
        The rest from 53 (I believe) up are the same (within standard tolerances). Two barrel, four barrel, no matter.

Carburetor wise...no idea.

Mike

Comment

I thought that 51-54 232's port sizes were smaller. Heads were changed in 55 and were the same(port sizes) after that.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hey Bez, It's the exhaust ports on the 232's that are tiny. I ran a 232 in my Lark with a WCFB and intake. It did pretty good. Ran a little rich but not bad. Even pulled a heavy trailer 300 miles.

Gordon

Comment

232 intake ports were smaller. About the same size jump on late V8 to 232 as R3 to R1.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X