Clear All

• Battery display

I saw this at Iola on Thursday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iola 050.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1733723

Cool item, but $250 is a lot of money when I always need parts and more tools. If you zoom in the booth number is on that little ground tag, in case someone is interested and is going.

They are a bit rare. I have one. We had two in our memorabilia room in Glendale.

Denny L

Comment

I have an original battery in the original Studebaker box. Never charged.

I have an acquaintance who would pay that amount ($250) if you have the sellers contact info let me know.

I have reproduced the original battery advertiing sticker (approx 7 X 10"), below. If interested let me know.

Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I have one but it is missing the sign on top .....wish i could find one of those.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Why does the picture say "scanned for ebay"? It isn't like the photo is copyrighted or anything. It doesn't make sense.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Probably just a setting on his scanner because he has been selling pictures on EBAY recently. He doesn't work for EBAY.

Comment

Why sell something on Ebay that someone can simply download a copy for their own use? Keeping that from happening is why a watermark like "Scanned for Ebay" is put on the photo.

Just a way of making sure if someone wants a clean copy they have to buy it. It protects the seller.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

People go to the Library of Congress website and sell historic photos on EBAY all the time. One of the sellers, woodhaven-historic has 20,025 pictures for sale online for $3.25 and $2.00 shipping for a 5 x 7 or for additional money you can get them as big as 24 x 30. Money for nothing!!

Comment

That cart would be perfect for displaying Danbury Mint 1/24 scale Studebakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    I have an original battery in the original Studebaker box. Never charged.

I have an acquaintance who would pay that amount ($250) if you have the sellers contact info let me know.

I have reproduced the original battery advertiing sticker (approx 7 X 10"), below. If interested let me know.
                    Sorry, but I didn't get the guys contact info. It was the only thing Studebaker that he had. Today is the last day of the Iola show, but then it could be gone already and on Sunday it always gets deserted there.

Comment

I know that Studebaker used Willard batteries for years. You can find ads for Willard in old magazines prominently featuring Studebaker vehicles. I have one that features a battery frozen in a block of ice cranking a Studebaker.

By the time Studebaker was selling batteries under their own lable...did they own a battery company, or were they supplied by Willard with Studebaker labels?

Back in the 70's, I bought my '55 truck that still had a soft top Willard battery in it. The truck was twenty years old and had less than 30,000 miles on it. At that time, there was a little old gray-haired widow operating the only Willard battery store that I ever remembered. It was in Spartanburg S.C. in what looked like an old dilapidated gas station. All she sold was Willard auto batteries. One of the first things I had to do to my truck was buy a new battery.

When I drove it into her business, her face just lit up when she saw the little Studebaker truck. I recall her saying that the battery looked like the original. She sold me a new 6 volt Willard battery. For years after, each time I needed to replace the battery, I kept peeling that old Willard label off the old battery and carefully placing it on the new one until it finally cracked apart.

That part of town has undergone a renovation to the point that I can no longer recognize where the old Willard store was standing. I wish I had been aware and understood the value of all the old battery displays and signs. If I had known, I would have at least tried to save them from the bulldozer that probably collected them.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X