Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right color combination and original condition. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right color combination and original condition. ??

Here's a beautiful Avanti, but with some odd thinking in the restoration and marketing. It's professionally painted a metallic blue, but described as [B"]Right color combination and original condition."[/B]

His car, his decision, but it's obviously not an original color. Would you pay more for the metallic blue or for the correct turquoise?

jack vines
    PackardV8

I believe it is the original turquoise color, but the low-resolution pictures have distorted the color. It looks very nice to me, even though the carpet and seat belts appear to be very faded. Could a 1963 automobile have originally been licensed with a 1962 plate? I realize it may have been initially licensed in 1962, but I thought it would come with next years license plate.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      I believe it is the original turquoise color,
      Believe you're right! Photos in that bright sunlight often distort color saturation. Never seen grass that chartreuse or red brick that bronze.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item35b3724b03

Here's a beautiful Avanti, but with some odd thinking in the restoration and marketing. It's professionally painted a metallic blue, but described as [B"]Right color combination and original condition."[/B]

His car, his decision, but it's obviously not an original color. Would you pay more for the metallic blue or for the correct turquoise?

jack vines
        I'm tending to agree with Brent as the door jambs and trunk lid appear to be an older version of the same color. All the rubber is way to crummy to be recent and shows not masking so I think the color is close to original.

I think the car is really pretty but the term recent restoration is probably a bit over stated as Jack seems to suggest. All in all, though, It does appear to be a pretty solid original with repainting and detailing under the hood. The undercarriage looks darn solid for it's vintage.

Bob

Comment

Here's the sellers description
          It has been painted to perfection in it's original color of a mirror finish blue metalic.
          Agree, it is impossible to be certain from a photograph, but it does look metallic to me.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Drivers seat cushion apears to have been stiched in between the ribs, the exhaust extension and radiator cap are after market.

Comment

uhmmm, the seats should be stitched, the door panels heat sealed. Agree on the exhaust and radiator cap.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

This guy has an impressive array of cars for sale- and all with those terrible pictures. I believe he listed a Lark convertible a month or two back. No idea why he would go to the troulble of staging them in a nice setting and then not taking quality pictures. For a few hundred you can get a helluva good camera these days. Makes no sense??

Seller, if you're lurking, we're a fan of your car. Get some help with photographing, and I'll bet you do much better than your current record of 7 out of 43 sold!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

So does anyone know the particulars of this 1963 R1 Avanti? It does show in Johnson's Avanti registry as belonging to the seller and the listing also includes a newspaper sales clipping from 1973 when Mr "Schaffer" (sp) was asking for $3000. Anyone know of Ed Schaeffer? I am interested: is anyone in the area able to view it to report "actual" condition (I would gladly pay costs)? I agree that the photos are not helping - and thanks to the sharp eyes on this forum noting what I had not seen (like the poorly masked and failing weatherstripping, etc.). Also, how hard would it be to add stock looking AC? Thanks for any help given, Bob

Comment

Looks like the frame has been repaired. Wonder how thick the rails are after the rust was repaired?

Gordon

Comment

I believe it is the original turquoise color, but the low-resolution pictures have distorted the color. It looks very nice to me, even though the carpet and seat belts appear to be very faded. Could a 1963 automobile have originally been licensed with a 1962 plate? I realize it may have been initially licensed in 1962, but I thought it would come with next years license plate.
                      The plates depend on the state. Here in NY, if you bought it new in 1962, you could transfer 1962 plates to it. Now, when people put year of manufacture plates on a car, they use the model year of the car.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                        So does anyone know the particulars of this 1963 R1 Avanti? It does show in Johnson's Avanti registry as belonging to the seller and the listing also includes a newspaper sales clipping from 1973 when Mr "Schaffer" (sp) was asking for $3000. Anyone know of Ed Schaeffer? I am interested: is anyone in the area able to view it to report "actual" condition (I would gladly pay costs)? I agree that the photos are not helping - and thanks to the sharp eyes on this forum noting what I had not seen (like the poorly masked and failing weatherstripping, etc.). Also, how hard would it be to add stock looking AC? Thanks for any help given, Bob
                        Being this car has Minnesota plates, I am assuming that it was sold new there. Could this Mr. Schaffer be from the Schaffer refrigeration company of Minnesota that Studebaker owned at the time? I'm just throwing it out there to see if it sticks.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                          Looks like the frame has been repaired. Wonder how thick the rails are after the rust was repaired?

Gordon
                          Howdy Gordon, Since I am an Avanti novice and willing to be well-informed: how can you tell that the frame had been repaired? Does that mean that the hog trough condition could also be suspect? Inquiring minds...thanks...Bob

Comment

Being this car has Minnesota plates, I am assuming that it was sold new there. Could this Mr. Schaffer be from the Schaffer refrigeration company of Minnesota that Studebaker owned at the time? I'm just throwing it out there to see if it sticks.
                            Could be!!!

A quick check of the South Bend-Mishawaka City Directories of back then listed no Ed(ward) Schaffer (or Schafer, Schaefer, Schaeffers for that matter). Of course he may have lived in this area, but outside the SB-Mish city limits.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                              Howdy Gordon, Since I am an Avanti novice and willing to be well-informed: how can you tell that the frame had been repaired? Does that mean that the hog trough condition could also be suspect? Inquiring minds...thanks...Bob
                              Hey Bob, I'm no Avanti expert. I have owned and parted out a lot of Larks and never seen a frame welded like that one. Look at the two pics that show the trans pan and X member. It appears that the bottom of the frame rail was replaced. Looks like it was drilled and plug welded. And where the X member meets the frame on the drivers side front. They welded the frame there and not the other side. Maybe someone else will key in and correct me on this. I'm always learning too!

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X