First post... first Studebaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post... first Studebaker!

Hello all! I picked up a 62 Champ from the original owner earlier today (I'll post pics in the next few days). I would like to know more about what I have. Its a 62 with the 259, but that;s about all I know. The S/N is E7T2976

Any way to decode this? Where to go for a build sheet? I'm sure I'll have more q's once I post the pics.

This looks like a great community, I look forward to contributing what little I can!

Welcome this is one of the places to post also the Studebaker truck forum. You should look for a chapter in your area. Sound like a great truk to find.

Comment

Welcome!

Originally posted by mkbruin View Post
      Hello all! I picked up a 62 Champ from the original owner earlier today (I'll post pics in the next few days). I would like to know more about what I have. Its a 62 with the 259, but that;s about all I know. The S/N is E7T2976

Any way to decode this? Where to go for a build sheet? I'm sure I'll have more q's once I post the pics.

This looks like a great community, I look forward to contributing what little I can!
      The serial number starting with E7 means: a 1/2 ton truck with a V8 motor. The third digit would not be a "T", It is probably a 1 which Studebaker often stamped with an "I" so it can easily be mistaken. Under the hood on the passenger side (if not missing) will be the body tag which for a '62 will start with "7E -" and be either a "T4" = standard cab or a "T6" = deluxe cab. The only way to get a lot of other detailed info is to contact the Studebaker National Museum and order the Production Order for your truck. That will contain all of the specs for your truck when shipped from the factory.

Good luck and post some pictures.
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

That's a sweet-lookin' ride, man! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! Good to have you here.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. There is definitely a lot of knowledge at your disposal here!
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by mkbruin View Post
            Hello all!>>>This looks like a great community, I look forward to contributing what little I can!
            WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

A great source for information & inspiration!!!

Comment

hi. where are you located? i'm sure there will be folks in the area that would love to check out your new ride!!!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                hi. where are you located? i'm sure there will be folks in the area that would love to check out your new ride!!!
                I apologize I didn't update my profile yet. I'm based out of Denver, CO.

Pics are uploading as we speak. can we use the [img] tags in this forum to link to photo upload sites?

Last edited by mkbruin; 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

A few more:

Comment

Round three...

Last edited by mkbruin; 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Great Truck Merlin! Many sellers do not understand the Studebaker Model coding and they often even get mis Titled as the year sold etc. but not that it reallly matters but this Truck is clearly a 5E-7-122 T6 Cab, which relates to a 1960 Champ 1/2 Ton long Bed (122 inch wheelbase) V-8 with the three speed Overdrive and Deluxe Cab, in what MAY be the original Omaha Orange Color. Looking at the original inside window frames and dash, it more likely was Red and COULD be faded Red or a Orange repaint, hard to tell from the Pics.

There are not at lot of 1960's left nowdays, a good find.
                      These all have the Sturdy double walled
                      P1 Box (bed), as the Styleside Wide Box was not yet available.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-08-2011, 11:38 AM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome aboard.....get that Champ up and running and sign up for the Studebaker Drivers Club, and be sure to join all of us other nuts when we make our way to Colorado Springs in 2013 for the International meet.......South Bend IN is 2012 if you can't wait that long.

One oddity I notice on your truck though.....and I'll defer a little to other's that know Champs more than I, but the whole
                        Coil springs above the leaf springs......doesn't look right or necessary, and I'm willing to bet not stock. Actually I'm going to say not at all after looking at those perches that are sitting ontop of one of the stock u bolts.
                        I wonder the story on that.

Develop some thick skin , patients if confused or fussy , and don't shy away from questions, everyone here can get you started down the right path, to a pristene show truck or just a daily driver. So ask away.

And on a fun note,
                        Someone will surely let you know if have the correct battery hold down cable......hum Palma?
                        BarnLark spots the correct routing of hoses to and from the heater box.
                        And others have their specialty when it comes to spotting out of place items. All in fun, and knowledge.
                        But i'm not sure who's an expert on that awesome shag seating you have there. JDP maybe?
                        p.s. Omaha orange has seen sort of a revival in the Stude world lately. So feel honored. Search MBSTUDE and orange crush when you have some free time.
                        Plus you have the picture posting down!!!!
                        Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM.
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Just for grins, here is a pic of one of the other cars in my garage right now.

I have a ton of experience with Jeeps and MGs, and am no stranger to mechanics.

And yes, I'm almost afraid to see what's living in that shag.

Comment

It is puzzling looking at some of the undercarriage pics. Looks like HD in the front and SD in the rear. Here is a pic of one of my 3 MG's

Comment

That Shag is some scary stuff. Nice Truck
                              Mabel 1949 Champion
                              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                              Gus 1958 Transtar
                              The Prez 1955 President State
                              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Working...
                              X