6v to 12v conversion 1950 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6v to 12v conversion 1950 champion

I am having a problem with the dash lights, I changed the 6v #55 bulbs to a replacement 12v #57. After powering up the system everything worked but the dash lights, I started checking for power and ground, and found the bulbs to be lit . They are not bright enough to shine through the colored glass that they are inside of when plugged in. can anyone suggest a brighter bulb?

Did you forget to instal the 12 volt battery ?

Sorry...could't resist, since you didn't actually mention it..!
    I'll be doing the same thing here soon.
    Good luck.

Mike

Comment

If the bulbs light up the reflective surface of the numerals is likely played out. It is indirect lighting, for lack of a better term.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If I remember correctly, the bulb shines through a purple shell, emitting only ultra violet light. The luminous numbers and hands only show up in absolute dark. You won't see any light at all from the bulbs.

Comment

oh was I supposed to put the battery in?
          thanks tom , as I remember the "shells" are very dark I will try tonight
          all gauges and speedo are NOS
          Last edited by bnose; 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

still no luck , barely visible in the dark,need brighter bulbs. any ideas ?

Comment

If this is important enough to bug you this much, there are several ways to deal with it.

Depending on your skill level and artistic incentive, you can remove the dark covers and use colored bulbs. Some craft stores sell opaque colored paint for making a stained glass look. You could cut up a heavy colored plastic pop bottle and curl the plastic into a cylinder to replace the original dark glass covers. Also, the luminescent glow in the dark paint fades with time (even NOS) and loses its ability to reflect the small amount of light provided by those deep purple covers. Glow in the dark paint is also available at craft stores. With the correct art brush and a steady hand, the gauge needles can be repainted.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is a brighter bulb. LM 1012MB-W, an LED, from CEC industries.
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

some good ideas jclary your first option is what I was thinking of doing if the 6253 bulbs I ordered from the web,don't work.NAPA doesn't have that #,
                  6253 have 4 candlepower the 57's are 2, but I will also try your idea starlightchamp before I open up the gauge cluster again
                  I need to have good lighting as this is my wife's car
                  I really appreciate the help from everyone, to Mike Van Veghten, I like your humor!
                  I'm sure one of these ideas will work , I'll update later

Comment

Working...
                  X