Studebaker Hydraulic Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Hydraulic Vise

total newbie, hoping you guys can help me track the history of Studebaker Machine Co. hydraulic vises.

I just picked one up, and it has "Studebaker Machine Co Chicago, Ill." cast in the body.

In my web searching, I've found another that has "Studebaker Machine Co Maywood Ill" cast in the body.

I've also found where the Studebaker brothers invested in Chicago real estate, and I found an announcement in a 1900 periodical saying the Maywood Foundry and Machine Co of Maywood had just signed a contract to do work for Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company of South Bend, Ind...

Finally, I found a scan of a tool catalog from 1943 showing the vise, and that led me to finding a copyrite of the word "visepress" registered in 1940 to the Studebaker Machine Co Chicago Illinois.

I'm going to call the Studebaker museum to see if they might have any info, but I was wondering if anyone here might know something. I did do a search, and found two threads.

Finally, my vise is all-original, in excellent shape, and is painted Olive Drab... as though it might have been made for the war effort.

I did find a link to another massive Studebaker vise, made by the Studebaker Hydraulic Production Company, but can't find any info, or a city, on that name.

Any help would be appreciate!

-Brad
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brad54; 07-05-2011, 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by Brad54 View Post
    total newbie, hoping you guys can help me track the history of Studebaker Machine Co. hydraulic vises.

I just picked one up, and it has "Studebaker Machine Co Chicago, Ill." cast in the body.

In my web searching, I've found another that has "Studebaker Machine Co Maywood Ill" cast in the body.

I've also found where the Studebaker brothers invested in Chicago real estate, and I found an announcement in a 1900 periodical saying the Maywood Foundry and Machine Co of Maywood had just signed a contract to do work for Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company of South Bend, Ind...

Finally, I found a scan of a tool catalog from 1943 showing the vise, and that led me to finding a copyrite of the word "visepress" registered in 1940 to the Studebaker Machine Co Chicago Illinois.

I'm going to call the Studebaker museum to see if they might have any info, but I was wondering if anyone here might know something. I did do a search, and found two threads.

Finally, my vise is all-original, in excellent shape, and is painted Olive Drab... as though it might have been made for the war effort.

I did find a link to another massive Studebaker vise, made by the Studebaker Hydraulic Production Company, but can't find any info, or a city, on that name.

Any help would be appreciate!

-Brad

Here's another one:

JDP Maryland

Comment

Studebaker Vise

I have a catalog from the Studebaker Hydraulic Products Co of Maywood Illinois.
      It describes your vise.
      I would consider loaning it to you if you are in the Chicago area.
      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        I have a catalog from the Studebaker Hydraulic Products Co of Maywood Illinois.
        It describes your vise.
        I would consider loaning it to you if you are in the Chicago area.
        Robert Kapteyn
        Robert,
        You have a private message.

-Brad

Comment

One has come up on ebay now.
          Dave...
          Dave Pink
          Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
          1925 ER Tourer
          1925 Panel Delivery