1966 Studebaker Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Studebaker Power Steering

Does anyone know how to change a non power steering car to power steering with out raising the 283 engine to take off the pitman arm? I have another power steering unit I want to use.

Ray Martin

You HAVE to change the pitman arm, the manual steering car doesnt have
    a control valve ON the pitman arm. Its a once piece part on a power
    steering car pitman arm/control valve/reach rod. Sorry. If you did
    not get this part, you are missing the most important part.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I have all the parts,how do you get the pitman arm off the steering box with out raising the engine about 2 inches?

Ray Martin

Comment

Oh .. I am sorry I mis-read that. I thought you meant without doing
        the pitman arm at all.[:I]

I remember doing the rear core plugs on my dads '69 Avanti and pulling
        the engine, separating it from the trans (left in the car) just to get
        to the $1.50 parts. You would think that GM could have sprung for two
        brass core plugs in just the REAR at least!!

Maybe someone will chime in for you here.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Ray,

There's no "magic bullet" or secret trick. They didn't think there'd be much call for regular replacement of pitman arms. Fact is, I'm sure they never dreamed of someone working on this thing some 41 years after it was built.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm sure this is not helpful at all, but the early Saginaw power steering/box assembly has a Pitman arm that can be easily removed from above with common hand tools... unlike just about every other Pitman arm...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mrjazzmillcreek

I have all the parts,how do you get the pitman arm off the steering box with out raising the engine about 2 inches?

Ray Martin
              Hi Ray;
              There is a pitman arm puller that can be ordered from a number of vendors(NAPA) that should work without engine movement. it is a very compact unit. I have also used an oversized pickle fork to put pressure on the arm and tap briskly on the P arm. Pickle fork can be wiggled back and forth to help. Again, no engine movement.
              Hope this helps,
              Kim

Comment

I was under the impression that the clearances were somehow different
                than the Studebaker powered cars, but if all things are equal you are
                welcome to read through the hell I have dealt with in my Power Steering
                thread, I show the tool in action :

Tom

quote:Originally posted by kamzack
                There is a pitman arm puller that can be ordered from a number of vendors(NAPA) that should work without engine movement.

Comment

Jack up the car, put a jackstand under the pan with a board on it, unbolt the left motor mount, and let the car down slightly.

Comment

Working...
                  X