Removal of exterior windshield stainless from a '62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Removal of exterior windshield stainless from a '62 GT Hawk

I know I've seen discussion of this on earlier cars ('53, etc.), but I'm ready to remove these moldings from a '62 GT Hawk before painting the car and I cannot see how to remove the moldings.
    Thanks in advance!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I believe it is like the '64 Daytona, in which I sat centered in the front seat and placed my feet flat against the windshield and gently pushed until the entire windshield popped out. The glass didnt break and the stainless can be easily removed after pulling the rubber off of the glass.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the molding cannot be removed without removing the windshield. Likewise, cannot be installed without assembling with glass and gasket first.
      Should be the same as this procedure from the '53 Shop Manual.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1670196
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks very much to both of you.
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Helps to park car in the hot sun for a while before attempting to push windshield out.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks for that info Frank.

Comment

Park in the hot sun for sure. That lessens the chance of breakage. What I have done too in the past is start on the inside with a wooden or plastic tool glass installers use which looks somewhat like a carpenters pencil. I fold the lip of the windshield weatherstrip off the pinch weld on the inside & work it around, starting from the top & working it to the sides. This releases the grip the weatherstrip has on the body & will enable you to gently lift the glass out & off the car without assistance or breakage.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks Warren!

Comment

Working...
                X