Halibrand Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halibrand Failures

I have heard reference many times to Halibrands failing due to being old and brittle. I have done an exhausted internet search looking for documentation of this in the form of an article or picture from a reliable source that actually presents proof. There is none. What I actually found was "argument" for and against this being the case. I even learned that it is not true that vintage racing prohibits early Halibrand wheels from racing. Many say it is not true that the wheels become dangerous due to age. Could this be urban legend? Does anyone here have proof of a Halibrand breaking on a race track and causing an accident? Or are we just repeating an unfounded story?
    Last edited by StudeMichael; 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM.

Not directly a Halibrand, but in 1998, I saw a circa-1965 Minilite magnesium wheel fail on an autocross track on the tront of a Sunbeam Tiger.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

We used to run ex-Indy cars as Supermods at Oswego Speedway, complete with their old Magnesium wheels. We did see them fail and went away from them eventually, to aluminum. They were thought to be brittle from aging. And I saw several that looked like they failed, but honestly we didn't know the history of them that well.

One year we tried my brother in a Super, and during practice he hit the wall hard between the first and second turns. He reported that the left front wheel broke and sent him flying. However, the video showed that he banged the inner hub rail, which shattered the wheel and sent him outward last time I saw one was over 20 years ago.

One thing I can say with authority: like VW engines, they make an excellent bonfire- bright white and very hot
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
      X