Bypassing Climatizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing Climatizer

The chassis manual and the shop manual are both "silent" on the routing of the coolant hoses to the heater (climatizer) for my 1951 Champion. The engine chapter shows a plug in the head, where the return goes, and the cooling system chapter doesn't even show the outlet on the water pump housing. No diagrams of hoses, etc.

My question: Since I don't really need/want a heater or defroster, and I haven't got the 12V motors anyway, can I plug the inlet & outlet (at the cylinder head and the water pump) and thereby bypass this entirely? I am thinking my coolant system wouldn't be affected, other than holding less water.

The chassis manual actually shows a part number for the plug in the head (but doesn't indicate any part numbers for the hose adapter, hoses, etc.)

Ideas?

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Different engine, but my Lark was bypassed when I got it. One short loop of hose from the inlet to the outlet. No problems with that setup.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Showbizkid - Is the "loop" of hose necessary? The manual shows a plug. If I'm not going to use my climatizer, I'd rather not have another hose that could leak.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I finally found the diagrams for the climatizer plumbing... in the BODY PARTS Catalog! Who woulda thought? Anyway, it was an Accessory, and therefore if not ordered, I guess the plugs were used. I assume I can plug these ports (head and water pump) and everything will be ok. Opinions?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Only necessary on my Lark, Paul - the V8 water pump doesn't have any pipe fittings, just nipples

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

PAul, what you propose will do just fine!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks everyone for confirming that it's OK to bypass the climatizer. As I was working outside today in 100 degrees it occurred to me that I really don't think I'll ever want to "defrost" anything in my car. Frying eggs on the trunk deck, maybe. In addition to simplifying the coolant path, this will hopefully provide a cleaner look under the hood. I'll find something to cover up the nipples to the thermo valve and defroster core and the duct to the heater core.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

The Climitizer (heater/defroster) was an option. There were some people in warm climates, like Florida, who didn't order it. I assume the factory just plugged the holes. I bought a 51 Studebaker parts car in the 80s that didn't come with a heater. It even had a heater hose block off plate. I still have it and I am thinking about using it on my 52 Commander until I get a 12 volt heater motor.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

The heater was an option and I have owned Studebakers that were not originally equipped with a heater. On any Studebaker that I only use in the Summer, I just remove the hose nipples and replace them with pipe plugs. I then reinstall the hoses and clamps over the pipe plugs. The car still looks like it has a heater but I don't have to worry about unwanted heat in the car or leaks in the hoses or core. The net of this is to use plugs. I never understood why some use a loop of hose as a bypass. You still have a chance for hose failure and you have reduced the cooling capacity by bypassing some of the coolant.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had my 63 Hawk out for the first time this year on sunday. I noticed it was running hot, a little above 180 on the temp gauge. Then there was the vapor coming out the defroster vent on the inside windshield. Yep, I have a leak in the heater core. I never drive the Hawk in cold weather just the Colorado summer. I like the idea of pluging the lines to the heater instead of replacing a heater core I never use. Will there be any kind of problem of doing this as far as restricting a coolant path or would this fix be ok.
                    Thanks for all input on this.

Rick
                    Wellington, Colorado

Comment

The post above yours pretty much says it all, yes your application would benefit from the same fix as Paul's! Plug em, and clamp the hoses to the plugs! Gary's idea sounds good to me for any car, if you do not desire a defroster or heater.

To each his own I guess, myself I like all of my cars' equipment to work, including; Hill Holder, Overdrive, Lighter, Clock, Glove Compartment Light, Back-up Lights, License Light, Instrument Lights, Automatic Trans Dial Light etc.![]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In my case, the loop of hose was installed by the PO because the heater valve was frozen slightly open. Got a new valve now...

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Comment

Working...
                        X