Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford E150, etc. power steering for a Stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Ford E150, etc. power steering for a Stude?

I remember reading many moons ago here on the SDC Forum about swapping an E150 or similar integral PS gear onto a Stude sedan. Apparently it has the 'reverse' sector (turning the steering wheel to the right causes the sector to turn counterclockwise which pushes the Stude Pitman arm forward).

I looked into using a 2000's Jeep Wrangler unit but the sector goes the wrong way.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

We applaud the effort and keep after it. Just know, if there was another PS unit easy, inexpensive and readily available to swap in, we'd have been doing it for years now. That no one has found the magic bean doesn't mean it isn't there; just that it isn't obvious.

IIRC, the Ford F150 is the same problem, Pitman arm swings in the horizontal plane rather than the vertical.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      We applaud the effort and keep after it. Just know, if there was another PS unit easy, inexpensive and readily available to swap in, we'd have been doing it for years now. That no one has found the magic bean doesn't mean it isn't there; just that it isn't obvious.

IIRC, the Ford F150 is the same problem, Pitman arm swings in the horizontal plane rather than the vertical.

jack vines

Thanks for the kind words.

Being a brake, suspension and alignment tech by trade; this PS problem has me 'annoyed' and I'm trying to come up with a relatively cost effective way to solve it.

The E series, Rangers (1997 down) 1994 and older Explorers as well as assorted F series trucks apparently all use 'reverse' steering since all of their gears mount forward of the front axle centerline and the Pitmans point towards the front. Basically 2WD Twin I Beam trucks.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

80-96 Ford pickup and van use the same box. I believe it is also used on the ranger. In 96 they changed the box and can't say if it will work or not but it is very similar. If you can fabricate the earlier can be made to work. This was discussed here some time back. The early Saginaw p.s. box pittman arm can be fitted to it but they are sort of rare so you may have to make up a arm to fit it. I've done this by welding the splines from one arm into another. Due to it's length using the early pittman arm makes for a very quick box. About 2 1/4 turns lock to lock with short steering arms and 3 1/2 with the original long steering arms.

Comment

Originally posted by leyrret View Post
          80-96 Ford pickup and van use the same box. I believe it is also used on the ranger. In 96 they changed the box and can't say if it will work or not but it is very similar. If you can fabricate the earlier can be made to work. This was discussed here some time back. The early Saginaw p.s. box pittman arm can be fitted to it but they are sort of rare so you may have to make up a arm to fit it. I've done this by welding the splines from one arm into another. Due to it's length using the early pittman arm makes for a very quick box. About 2 1/4 turns lock to lock with short steering arms and 3 1/2 with the original long steering arms.
          I'm torn between the Ford truck gearboxes as you described or going with a later Chevy Astro (2WD) Saginaw unit; both are reverse rotation. And the Sag part may swap directly onto the original Stude Pitman arm eliminating another variable.

Comment

Working...
          X