This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtop rear quarter windows

I fixed the hardtop rear quarter window alignment on Christine, and it was the same issue I'd seen before. The windows would not roll up far enough forward to seal against the door glass. The regulator is held by 4 screws that can slide in slots to adjust the fit. When the regulator lube dries out the windows gets hard to roll up and down forcing the regulator to move back and forth on the adjustment slots. I was able to grease the track through a hole in behind the rear panel once it's removed it and the gear can be sprayed with lithium grease from the top window opening. I did that, ran the windows up and down a few times, adjusted the regulator and tightened everything down. Now the winds go up and down with ease, and seal correctly. All the hardtops, even the K bodies are similar.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

There is an article in an old car magazine where Ed Reynold's Dad complains of the same problem while he is testing a 56 Golden Hawk on the test track.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

There is an article in an old car magazine where Ed Reynold's Dad complains of the same problem while he is testing a 56 Golden Hawk on the test track.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Bill Clark has done an article on the rear quarter windows and it's on our Tech Page:

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        Woodbury, Minnesota
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Bill Clark has done an article on the rear quarter windows and it's on our Tech Page:

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
          Woodbury, Minnesota
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

That's a great write up if you are doing a lot more then a simple lube and screw tightening. After reading it, I do see the hawk's are more different then I thought.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

That's a great write up if you are doing a lot more then a simple lube and screw tightening. After reading it, I do see the hawk's are more different then I thought.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert
              63 Lark 2 door
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
              59 3E truck
              58 Starlight
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm going to print out Bill's instructions and read them about 10 times and the shop manual again too. I've never been able to get the driver side on my '53 to work and now the regulator has some stripped teeth on it. The passenger side one almost "fell" together and worked w/o a lot of fuss but the driver's side one a different story [}] I must have spent a couple hours cursing at it and wishing I had x-ray vision to see what is binding or jamming in there. I had the whole works apart and relined it like Bill describes so I am pretty familiar with with it but the "problem" eludes me. I've just left it closed the past couple years except for a couple shows/parades and regretted putting it down due to the trouble getting it to close again.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I'm going to print out Bill's instructions and read them about 10 times and the shop manual again too. I've never been able to get the driver side on my '53 to work and now the regulator has some stripped teeth on it. The passenger side one almost "fell" together and worked w/o a lot of fuss but the driver's side one a different story [}] I must have spent a couple hours cursing at it and wishing I had x-ray vision to see what is binding or jamming in there. I had the whole works apart and relined it like Bill describes so I am pretty familiar with with it but the "problem" eludes me. I've just left it closed the past couple years except for a couple shows/parades and regretted putting it down due to the trouble getting it to close again.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Bob Bourke was not happy with the mechanism for the K body quarter windows. Studebaker cost reduced 50 cents out of each original mechanism. Of course, a dollar per car was a lot in those days. The cars were not designed and built to last 40 or 50 years.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob Bourke was not happy with the mechanism for the K body quarter windows. Studebaker cost reduced 50 cents out of each original mechanism. Of course, a dollar per car was a lot in those days. The cars were not designed and built to last 40 or 50 years.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I need help, I have a 60 hardtop Lark and I can NOT get the left rear quarter glass adjusted, I can't get it to go up and forward all the way, the regulator is NOS, what am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by vespa400 View Post
                          I need help, I have a 60 hardtop Lark and I can NOT get the left rear quarter glass adjusted, I can't get it to go up and forward all the way, the regulator is NOS, what am I doing wrong?
                          You have necroposted on a thread that has been dead for 14 1/2 years. You will probably do better creating a new thread addressing your issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X