PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: FLuids

rmpineiro
07-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Just want to say thanks for all the help I received on this board. Every time I have a question everyone has been very helpful. Just thanks for all the replies. Now to my questions.

I need to replace the oil in my t10 Borg and Warner transmission. What type of lube should I use? Is there a brand that I can get at my local auto parts store beside the the mail order route?

Also my twin traction axle needs the fluid replaced what are your recommendations and Is the brand oil I can buy at my local auto part?

Thanks
Rob

Warren Webb
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Being that the the T-10 was made for so many years I am not sure if one could use GL-5 oil in it, but you can use it in the rear axle. I would add the limited slip additive that is available at Ford & GM dealers as an insurance if its a Twin Traction axle. If you have drained & cleaned the rear axle then why not use one of the synthetic oils that are available now that offer better lube qualities & less friction?

The transmission (T-10) would take GL-1 if it cant use the GL-5. GL-1 is available at NAPA although I dont have the part number at hand right now but you can use the Search provision to find that too.