Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There seem to be a LOT of 1961-65 Stude cars left compared to the older models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There seem to be a LOT of 1961-65 Stude cars left compared to the older models.

Perusing CraigsList here in the Phoenix/SoCal/Las Vegas areas what strikes me is how many 1961-65 Studes (Larks, Hawks and pickups) still seem to exist never mind that by 1963 sales were plummeting compared to the 1950's/early 1960's.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

'61 to '65? ...I think '59 to '64!

I am sure there are very many known and unknown reasons for this.

But consider this;

1. There are more people still alive today who grew up with the '60's Cars than the 50's or 40's Models, and maybe some of us wish to relive our childhood even!

2. The Larks and Lark Types were quite popular cars, and actually very good and dependable ones as well.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Late 50s cars have a lot more Bling and are very collectable, People tend to hang on to them.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

From my searching I've noticed mostly 60's and 63-65's. 62's seem to come up fairly often, but 59's and 61's are a little more scarce. However I see a lot more 59's than 56-58's.

The one thing that I've noticed over the years is the incredible survial rate of 64 Daytona hardtops, convertibles and Hawks. It has gotten to the point that I drive my 61 Lark to Stude shows now because I know there will be at least one other 64 hardtop, but probably not any 61 Larks. Saying that, I was surprised by the number of 61 Larks this year at Springfield.

Nick

Comment

Likely the main reason there are more 61-64's left was the fact that they were still being driven when the plant stop making cars. Studebaker fans tended to hang on to them. The older cars were all ready in the junk yards and most 47-58 cars were junked at that point. I still have the Dad's '64 that he purchased new. The the 1957 Champion trade in would have been turned into Mustangs at that point. A higher percentage of earlier coupe and Hardtops got kept as they were salvaged from the junk yards while the sedans got crushed as no one wanted them.

T-cab

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAB View Post
            Likely the main reason there are more 61-64's left was the fact that they were still being driven when the plant stop making cars. Studebaker fans tended to hang on to them. The older cars were all ready in the junk yards and most 47-58 cars were junked at that point. I still have the Dad's '64 that he purchased new. The the 1957 Champion trade in would have been turned into Mustangs at that point. A higher percentage of earlier coupe and Hardtops got kept as they were salvaged from the junk yards while the sedans got crushed as no one wanted them.

T-cab
            You may be 100% correct there.

Finding especially a 1964 4 door here in the Southwest/California is rather easy.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
            X