Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this car has "...very little rust..."...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this car has "...very little rust..."...

...I wonder what a LOT of rust looks like?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2469955159.html

John

Actually, I would somewhat agree with him, based on what little the pictures reveal. Sure there is a lot of surface patina, but I do not see any real serious rot. Of course I am in the upper Midwest.

Just what the world needs....another rat rod. "Good for rebuild or rat rod" :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
      ...Sure there is a lot of surface patina...
      Well, I guess one man's 'patina' is another man's RUST!

John

Comment

Just semantics. Based on the pictures I would agree, according to my definition- in my world we tend to call rust-through 'rust'. Surface rust is called just that. W'd never call a car like that 'rusty', it would be 'solid with just surface rust'.

Of course, that's assuming no holes wh can't see.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

100% aree, surface rust is not rust, bubbly stuff and holes are rust. When I went to insure my new to me 71 dodge truck about 10 years ago, the idiot chick that came out to check it over denied it coverage based on excessive rust. It had a utility bed on it where the factory paint had peeled about 50% on the box tops and there was surface rust. Mind you, this was a clean California valley truck. She must subscribe to the same view as the OP. (not implying the OP is an idiot, but that lady REALLY pissed me off).
          Travis..

Comment

Yup, the lack of title would be a much bigger issue to me than the surface rust on this car. His price is not even unreasonable, based on what little we all know from the ad. Of course, things may be different upon close inspection.

Comment

I certainly understand about 'surface rust'. However, the seller just said 'very little rust'. Man, that is a HECKUVA LOTTA rust on that car, surface or not. That sucker is practically covered with rust, surface or not. I understand 'rust thru', too. And maybe there is none of that type of rust.

But I think if you asked any dis-interested person off the street, "Does this car have a little or a lot of rust?" that dis-interested person would HAVE TO SAY, "That sucker has A HECKUVA LOTTA rust!" Probably 80% covered with rust. I fail to see how 80% is 'very little rust'. If 80% of your skin was gone, you'd have very little LEFT! That car has very little that is NOT rusted.

Sorry, guys.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                I certainly understand about 'surface rust'. However, the seller just said 'very little rust'. Man, that is a HECKUVA LOTTA rust on that car, surface or not. That sucker is practically covered with rust, surface or not. I understand 'rust thru', too. And maybe there is none of that type of rust.

But I think if you asked any dis-interested person off the street, "Does this car have a little or a lot of rust?" that dis-interested person would HAVE TO SAY, "That sucker has A HECKUVA LOTTA rust!" Probably 80% covered with rust. I fail to see how 80% is 'very little rust'. If 80% of your skin was gone, you'd have very little LEFT! That car has very little that is NOT rusted.

Sorry, guys.

John
                Well John, If that is your definition of rust than rust it is.

Here in my part of the world, Michigan, rust is generally a concern if it requires replacement of metal. The patina that this car exhibits looks to be handled by a light blasting, metal prep and epoxy sealer.

As far as the skin analogy, that rust is not a skin, or lack of, but more like a tan on the surface layer as no permanent damage has occurred if the panels still have integrity.

Just a difference of definition based on our viewpoints. We'd love to find 'em it that shape here.

Bob

Comment

ok by me

Not a structual rust bucket. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Looks like a typical Texas car to me - if the floormats/carpets were in the car it probably has some holes in the floor and possibly the trunk - but nothing like those areas where roads in winter are not white with snow but white when they dry out from all the salt on them. I can guarantee the interior is toast - the sun can be pretty brutal.

I really did not understand the extent of rust in vehicles until I moved to the mid-Atlantic in 2005. Everyday car went from being pristine to having rust in the rear wheel wells in three winters. At the local Ford dealer, they have rear spring shackles and front spring towers IN STOCK for my 1993 F150 because the number that have to be replaced.

When my father and uncle would pick up a Studebaker parts cars back in the 1960s, the first thing they would do is pull the floor covering out. There is a '62 four door still on the place that has not had doors on it for 20 years and there is still paint on parts of the floor pan...

Comment

According to Israel Sack,
                      Patina is everything that happens to an object over the course of time. The nick in the leg of a table, a scratch on a table top, the loss of moisture in the paint, the crackling of a finish or a glaze in ceramics, the gentle wear patterns on the edge of a plate. All these things add up to create a softer look, subtle color changes, a character. Patina is built from all the effects, natural and man-made, that create a true antique.

So, according to that definition, I guess this car has patina. A HECKUVA lot of it. How about if we substitute 'patina' for 'rust' in the ad. "...very little patina..." I still say it's got a HECKUVA LOT of patina! Maybe not 'patina-thru' (Well, it can't have 'patina-thru' because patina is usually only on the surface.) But it certainly is 80% covered in 'patina'.

If we ask that same dis-interested person, "Does this car have a little or a lot of pantina?" I'll bet he'd look at you funny! But once you explained it to him, he'd say "It's sure got a HECKUVA LOT of pantina!"

Is it easily removable 'patina'? Maybe. But that ain't what the ad said. My only dispute is with the phrase "...very little rust..." It AIN'T very little rust. It's a HECKUVA LOT of rust!

Sorry guys!

John

Comment

Maybe he should have just said, "needs paint." Can everyone agree on that?

Comment

Yep. And a HECKUVA LOT of prep!

John

Comment

Yes, needs a lot of paint to remove patina.

Comment

I would agree that there is a lot of rust, but it is amazing how much surface rust comes off with a series of wet/dry paper rub downs. As for rot, the only indication of that may be the axel stand/ bumper prop. This still seems a pretty good project at a pretty good price.

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                              Well, I guess one man's 'patina' is another man's RUST!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X