More questions about rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: More questions about rims

I picked up a set of 15" mopar rims from a early 90's truck all is correct for my 50 commander EXCEPT the center hub hole. I was going to have a good machinist at a well qualified shop open up the holes for me do you foresee any problems about doing this? they need to be opened up about I think 1\4".

Edsel
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

If the Stude hubs have a consistent diameter feature that could be uses to "pilot" or center the rim, enlarging the existing hole for 0.000 to 0.005 inch clearance would keep the wheel better centered on the car. Steel wheels have a curvy surface that may be too far off the hub surface at the required diameter.

Comment

Is the '51 Commander different from the '53-64 cars? Reason I ask is in fifty years of putting Ford and Mopar wheels on Studes, i've always been able to find wheels which bolt on; no machining required.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

If you are using truck wheels, and they don't fit in the center, are you sure the bolt circle is 5 on 4.5? Seems to me like dodge truck rims are 5 on 5. I could be wrong, maybe that's ford truck rims.

Comment

I think some of you are forgetting that this is a '50 Commander, the last year for the Stude. Truck bolt pattern being used on the "BIG" Commanders. They use the same pattern as Chevy and Toyota Trucks and some are a bolt-on, but others fit the pattern but hit the high spots on the Drums.

Most 1/2 Ton Dodge Trucks I have seen use the Stude. Car pattern 5 on 4 1/2" we have some '72 Dodge Van wheels on a '63 Wagonaire.

Stude. wheels center on the studs, so it may work, I just would not go that way when many bolt-ons are out there.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wish there was a list of what rims work on what car years. I dont see any issue with the rims I have as yet. They are clean and just need to be painted and cut to fit.

Rich what year chevy or toyota truck rims would work for me so I can look for a set.
            sigpic
            I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
            Shakopee Mn.
            952-445-3281

Comment

I am not so good on remembering "other make" year models, but one of the best fits is definitely the Chevy Astro Van which is sort of a "Sport" Wheel with slots, maybe that would not work for you on a original looking car. It has been posted here, mostly for 1/2 Ton Pickups which are the same bolt pattern as pre '51 Commanders.

UPDATE: OK, here we go, Google is our friend!
              :
              Factory Original 1990 Chevrolet Astro Van Wheels, Used 1990 Chevrolet Astro Van Rims, OEM 1990 Chevrolet Astro Van Wheels, Stock 1990 Chevrolet Astro Van Rims, Factory Alloy Wheels, OEM Steel Rims, Used Factory Wheels, OriginalWheels

I was thinking of the '85-'99 #937 or #1447.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mid 60's big Buick and Cadillac should work.

Comment

once again thank you!
                  sigpic
                  I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                  Shakopee Mn.
                  952-445-3281

Comment

Link for cars with 5x5 bolt patter

Here is a link for cars having a 5x5 lug pattern. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...&StudSpreadMM=

My 53' 2R5 truck has wheels from a Chevy Caprice Wagon, not sure of the exact year, look to be the same as the 1/2 ton chevy wheels that I have for my 50 Commander.

Comment

edsel -- how did your rims come out? any pics of them on the car? i found a place that will custom drill aluminum wheels to fit 50 commander hubs, so that is the route i am going...
                      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Regal Deluxe Trim
                      Automatic transmission
                      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

My 48 landcruiser parts car had Olds 98 wheels to roll it around.
                        Bish
                        sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                        1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                        1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                        1963 8E28 GSA order
                        1963 8E5 SOLD!
                        1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                        X