What exactly is this Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is this Studebaker?

I read the ad, and then took a look at the pictures, a close look. I wonder about several things about this car. I like the look and condition of the seats in particular, but there are a few other things....Comments?

It appears that it started out as a '66 Cruiser to me; going by the interior and serial number. I know those single-headlight '64 Challenger/Commander n.o.s. grilles can be had for cheap which may have been a factor in why it was installed instead of the correct four-piece grille and surround. I can't understand why anyone would paint the engine that horrendous shade of GREEN!

Craig

Comment

Not sure what you mean, Jim. Lokks mostly like just what it says. Comes from a time when Chevy was buying engines from Chevy.

<G>
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Judging by the Cruiser nameplate on the back, I'd guess this was a '66 Cruiser with a Challenger front clip. Even says so on the fenders Not in awful shape, all told, but what's with the funky aftermarket clip-on headrests? Yeek.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It for sure is a 66 Cruiser,I had one just like it. Like was said here, a 64 grille was installed.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Generally a nice car. I love the interior of the 66 Cruiser. So plush & rich looking & this one is a great example. Personally I'd change it back to the correct grille assembly and sell the parts making up the Challenger parts. The nameplates on the front fenders are easy-at least the pins are all in the same location. I'd also get rid of the red wheels! It also has the correct 66 only wheel covers, so this car does have lots going for it. Judging by the pictures, it wouldnt take much & S.I. has it all in stock to make a nice trophy winner as long as the 2 year old paint job wasnt a cheapo.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
              Judging by the Cruiser nameplate on the back, I'd guess this was a '66 Cruiser with a Challenger front clip. Even says so on the fenders
              Yep, Clark; 'just a 1966 Cruiser that likely encountered a "front altercation" along the way and had a 1964 Challenger doghouse fitted to it. 'Looks pretty straightforward as to that's what happened. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would say diffently a 66, dash, hubcaps VIN #, but this car may not be a true Florida car. Take a look at the open trunklid photo closely at the underside at the key lock. The unfinished metal work that went on there to repaier the rust tells me there be much more of this kind of work elsewhere in the car, and the engine color?
                Tom
                sigpic

Comment

Curious about the brake master... I thought that style was only used in '63 and the later cars have a "modern" looking one with the snap-on wire clamp?

Jeff in ND

Comment

I questioned the seller on most all of the points listed above, several days ago. His response was "????????? It was that way when I bought it a couple of years ago."
                    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Thanks everyone. I noticed almost all of those things mentioned (so maybe I am getting a bit better at it than I used to be) and I thought to myself. "That was a nice 66 Cruiser at one time, but some dire things seem to have happened to it along the way. And where did it--or parts of it--come from? Major accident at one time?" So, it might be more of a problem underneath than it looks at first glance. The rear deck lid still looks a little funky too.

The master cylinder looks like the m/c in my 64 "Commander Special" and not my 63 Wagonaire which IS different, so I thought that looks okay. I thought it likely has had rust issues and an engine transplant--and possibly a good collision requiring a complete end clip from a 64 Challenger including an engine(?) and the paint job over what might be some sketchy repairs and bondo.

Aside from that, I'd like to know what the lack of "power doors" is all about. (I suppose maybe he meant power brakes)
                      Last edited by Jim B PEI; 06-27-2011, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Are those front turn signals supposed to be there?
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Heretofore unknown 67 prototype. Just kidding.
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            Are those front turn signals supposed to be there?
                            No they are not, they are aftermarket back-up lights, but they are way more visable than the '64-'66 under bumper Parking and Turn Signal lights though.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The engine paint appears to be Detroit Diesel green to me.
                              Travis..

Comment

Working...
                              X