64 studebaker champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 studebaker champ

I'm working on a friends 64 studebaker champ pick-up with a 259 v-8. The cam on the distributer is wore down so a proper adjustment on the points is not possible. I was planning on putting in a pertronix point replacement set up since they work better than points and I wouldn't need to worry about the cam on the distributer anymore. My question is, is there another car that would interchange with the studebaker ? No one including the factory has a listing for ths engine to order the pertronix for. I'm hoping a more popular brand will interchange. I collect and restore 55 and 56 oldsmobiles and they are hard to get some parts for too. This 64 champ is even harder. Thanks, Don.

Since they didn't make 64's, I can understand the lack of parts. Perhaps you have an earlier year Champ?

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Chris,you must have thought he meant 1964 Champion because there were 1964 Champ pickups built. As for the electronic ignitions for 259s, they are available from Pertonix.

!952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. !962 Daytona
      since May, 2007.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Olds, You can use a press on reluctor for a Mopar Prestolite dist. V8, late 60's early 70's. Mopar had a retrofit kit for their electronic ignitions.

Comment

Watch out for the pins on the advance weights being worn. Those Prestolites are bad about that, but parts are available. Also check for bushing wear in the distributor body. The electronic conversion won't help a unit in need of a rebuild.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
          since May, 2007.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

There was also an ad in the May TW for a complete replacement electronic distributor as well - another option to consider.
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Chris,you must have thought he meant 1964 Champion because there were 1964 Champ pickups built. As for the electronic ignitions for 259s, they are available from Pertonix.
              I was under the impression that Pertronix was only available for the dual-points Prestolite, not for the single as used in all non-R engined cars and trucks.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If you go to the Pertronix web site, they list the following info for Stude V8's. I have copied the content from the 2007 catalogue for "Igniter I" part numbers.

Studebaker
                1960-61 8 Lark & Regal ............Delco 1181
                1965-66 8 All models ..............Delco 1181
                All 8 All models ................. Prestolite 1584

Hope that helps.
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Sorry, Mark but it does not help, because they do not know what they are talking about! [xx(] The 1584 as Ted has said many times here, and I see in my Fairborn Studebaker Pertonics application list, is for the DUAL POINT Prestolite only. Best thing to do is get either the early Delco '56 to '59 Commander, President, Hawk or Lark distributor or the '60-'61 Lark Delco window Dist. and those both have Pertronics available and do not self destruct like the Prestolite! [:0]

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Sorry, Mark but it does not help, because they do not know what they are talking about! [xx(] The 1584 as Ted has said many times here, and I see in my Fairborn Studebaker Pertonics application list, is for the DUAL POINT Prestolite only. Best thing to do is get either the early Delco '56 to '59 Commander, President, Hawk or Lark distributor or the '60-'61 Lark Delco window Dist. and those both have Pertronics available and do not self destruct like the Prestolite! [:0]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest

Thanks!
                    Ferndale, WA
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

ok now I have new worry, I have a prestolite in my Lark. Is this thing going to crap the bed or as Studerich said "self-destruct"? I guess it will be a wait and see deal.

Randy_G
                      1959 Lark Sedan
                      This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Don,

I've got lots of the early style Delcos around here, I'd be happy to part with one for very little.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Randy_G

ok now I have new worry, I have a prestolite in my Lark. Is this thing going to crap the bed or as Studerich said "self-destruct"? I guess it will be a wait and see deal.

Gosh Randy, don't do that - you'll hex the thing for sure.[:0][8]
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

I hope these new guys aren't going to panic over the distributor issue. The Prestolite design is maybe not as durable as a Delco for extended use (50 years??), but it can be rebuilt just like any other. I have replaced the parts in Stude Prestolites with the more readily available Chrysler parts and gotten good service.Like any other mechanical part they will wear and like any other part they can be restored. Don't panic the parts are out there. Until you open yours up and check it out you don't even know what shape it is in.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
                            since May, 2007.
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with this product (as Pertronix is n/a for the Prestolite Dist.)[?]

From May TW.
                              Mark Hayden
                              '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X