Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sell my father-in-law's 1963 Studebaker Hawk

Hi all,

I joined the forum when my father in law, John Schiavone, passed away early this year. Since then, I've been working on settling the estate, deciding what to keep and what to sell, and transferring ownership of his Studebaker to myself. The debts I've accumulated to settle the estate have been sizable, and I've finally decided that as much as I hate to do it, I need to sell the car.

It is a 1963 Studebaker Hawk with a 289 cu in engine and automatic transmission. At one point it was a show car, and he has a great many trophies from the various shows he took it to. For the past 10 to 15 years, however, it has been sitting undriven and covered in a carport, and the elements have taken their toll. It's still in decent shape, but it definitely needs work. Having spoken with those who were close to him, the car will apparently run (with low compression and oil burning) if the battery were charged. As it is, the car is in central Florida and I am in Wisconsin, so I can't tinker with it myself to verify.

Anyway, I was writing for suggestions as to how to sell the car. My father-in-law was a longstanding member of the SDC, but obviously I am not, so I don't think I'm allowed to post it in the classifieds here.

Any suggestions you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

You can list it in this thread as for sale, with information, pictures, price, etc. The classified that you refer to on this site is a publication of what has appeared in the SDC publication Turning Wheels. Non-SDC members can advertise in Turning Wheels. It just costs more. It also takes a couple of months for the ad to appear in print. I recommend putting the Hawk on eBay for a very broad exposure (which should result in quick settlement and the highest price attainable) .
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your father. Settling an estate is an often arduous, sometimes thankless task.

Selling a car by long distance, about which you know very little personally, is going to be a problem. Suggest you send a PM to John Paulos, who posts on this site as JDP. He is the most prolific/professional Studebaker reseller we have here. He will either tell you how, make you an offer or sell it on consignment for you. JDP is honest and knows the Stude retail market better than anyone.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

You will probably have to take a cheap Alligiant flight to Florida, unless a SDC Member local to the Car can get some good close up and full Car Pics for a Craigslist or eBay ad.

Maybe someone here can help after the International Meet.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Where in Florida, Would it by chance be in Vero Beach? If so I could probably help you with photos or whatever.

Comment

Maybe you could talk JDP or another member into selling it for you on consignment for a percentage depending on how much work needs to be done (10-50%)? Have it hauled to their house for them to detail and get running.

You might be happier with 50% of what JDP would get for a properly detailed running car than 100% of what you would get on craigslist, or ebay for a non-runner.

Good luck,
            Brian
            54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the condolences and the tips. Settling the estate has been very aduous...I'm working now toward liquidating enough assets to cover all of these expenses. I've been at it since January, and I'm sure it'll continue through the remainder of the year, and probably beyond.

I've been down to Florida twice since he passed, but I've been so busy both times that I didn't get to take any photos of the car. My father-in-law's roommate still lives there at the house, and we have many friends in the area, however, so pictures shouldn't be a problem. Coiincidentally enough, it is in Vero Beach, Don - did you know John or the car?

I thought about posting on craigslist, but I am concerned about the fairly limited exposure it would get there. Ebay might be a good option, but I think I may get in touch with JDP first for more advice or help.

Thanks again, all.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                You can list it in this thread as for sale, with information, pictures, price, etc. The classified that you refer to on this site is a publication of what has appeared in the SDC publication Turning Wheels. Non-SDC members can advertise in Turning Wheels. It just costs more. It also takes a couple of months for the ad to appear in print. I recommend putting the Hawk on eBay for a very broad exposure (which should result in quick settlement and the highest price attainable) .
                Thanks guys, I gave him 3 options, I might buy it outright, list it as-is on ebay, or I ship it here on consignment, fix it up and split the profit.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Steve, I met John once a few years ago but did not know him or the car. I would be happy to take photos and send them to you or JDP, or check the car for you both or anything else that you may need. If either you or John need any help send me an e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by dong View Post
                    Steve, I met John once a few years ago but did not know him or the car. I would be happy to take photos and send them to you or JDP, or check the car for you both or anything else that you may need. If either you or John need any help send me an e-mail.
                    Thanks for that offer, it might help. Any info you get will help establish a value, and/or work needed to make her a driver again.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Steve,
                      Is this a supercharged R2 Hawk? You might do better by posting a couple of pictures on this forum and getting offers from more than one member. Others might like a chance to buy it also.
                      Allen

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
                        Steve,
                        Is this a supercharged R2 Hawk? You might do better by posting a couple of pictures on this forum and getting offers from more than one member. Others might like a chance to buy it also.
                        Allen
                        No, it's not, but no one is suggesting only one person could help. I'm sure he'll accept any offers that get him the best deal in the end. I only replied because I was asked.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd say, take photos and give us an opportunity to take it off your hands. May be a win win situation. You may get more than you would expect. Lot's of us know the market price. Most of us follow e bay. cheers jimmijim jimmijimQUOTE=satdoc2;557825]Steve,
                          Allen[/QUOTE]
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Steve,

I am in central Florida.

Perhaps I could go by and look/take photos of the car.

Sent you a pm.

Don

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks again for your replies. I was able to have someone go out and take pictures, and I have posted them on Tinypic here: http://tinypic.com/a/2nzhc/1

Here is an overall shot of her...I too hope to come up with a win-win. It was hard for me to decide to let this go, but I just can't afford to keep it, so I want to make sure it's going to a good home.

If anyone is interested and/or has an idea of the car's value (I have my own, but the more opinions the better), please do contact me.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X