Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed! - Salvage yard closing in Leavenworth, KS

Fellow old car lovers:

Christy's Yard in Leavenworth, KS is closing, this weekend is the last one it will be open. Starting Monday, everything goes into the crusher for scrap. The man who owned the yard died recently and the sons are selling off the land (exact details of who wants what is unknown, and immaterial at this point). Only a few Studebakers, but lots of cars and big trucks from the 30's to the 60's.

I visited today and took a bunch of pictures, but just scratched the surface. I'll posted them online as soon as I can. Here's a link to a Craigs list ad with details.

If you're within an hour's drive of Leavenworth, KS, I recommend coming to take a look. Once its gone, its gone.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
    Fort Leavenworth, KS

Here are the pics. I took about 80 pictures, so rather than put them all in here, I'll just show the Studebakers I saw. The rest you can see individually here:

Here are the Studes I found:

When they're gone, they're gone. I'm going today, even though its drizzling.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
    Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

Here are the pics. I took about 80 pictures, so rather than put them all in here, I'll just show the Studebakers I saw. The rest you can see individually here:

Here are the Studes I found:

When they're gone, they're gone. I'm going today, even though its drizzling.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
      Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

A lot of nice stuff is still there. They should have run a small auction on the vintage stuff months ago. A shame to see some of that stuff go to the crusher .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

A lot of nice stuff is still there. They should have run a small auction on the vintage stuff months ago. A shame to see some of that stuff go to the crusher .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well, I've spotted a '51 bulletnose, a '52 4 door sedan, and what could be a Zipvan.

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well, I've spotted a '51 bulletnose, a '52 4 door sedan, and what could be a Zipvan.

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well, unfortunately, the place is NOT open this weekend as advertised. Seems one set of relatives that put out the ad don't actually own the property, while the other set that do own the land do not want anything sold. I don't know if they plan to crush it all or to spare the old cars, but either way the poor guy guarding the gate this morning had to deal with a lot of pissed off folks who drove hours to get here, only to be turned away. There were apparently a few death threats and the Sheriff's office was called in as well. Very nasty.

Well, I'm just glad I got to get in there yesterday and take some pics. I'll try to post the rest of them on my website, as soon as I get it working right.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
                Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

Well, unfortunately, the place is NOT open this weekend as advertised. Seems one set of relatives that put out the ad don't actually own the property, while the other set that do own the land do not want anything sold. I don't know if they plan to crush it all or to spare the old cars, but either way the poor guy guarding the gate this morning had to deal with a lot of pissed off folks who drove hours to get here, only to be turned away. There were apparently a few death threats and the Sheriff's office was called in as well. Very nasty.

Well, I'm just glad I got to get in there yesterday and take some pics. I'll try to post the rest of them on my website, as soon as I get it working right.

Mike "Magnum" Harm
                  Fort Leavenworth, KS

Comment

Working...
                  X