Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about 1930's Indy car project -am I nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about 1930's Indy car project -am I nuts?

I continue to be intrigued by the idea of building a Studebaker Indy car like the ones from the 1930s. While I'm not prepared to write checks to exactly reproduce one of the originals, I've been thinking that I could build something with the same character and drive it on the road for fun. I'd kind of like to keep it in the correct spirit of the times, so here's what I'm thinking about:
    * chassis from early to mid 30's
    * cowl, hood, and grille, from 1934 car or similar
    * front axle that will take 11x2" brakes from late 30's cars (same as '47-'50 Commanders and trucks from '41-'64.
    * 3 speed transmission, no overdrive
    * rear axle with 3.91-4.11 ratio
    * Commander 6 engine with aluminum head, dual carbs, dual exhausts, straight pipes (yes, a President 8 would be wonderful, but perhaps expensive to rebuild)
    *hand-built boat-tail body with two seats

Does anyone have experience with projects like this or have parts to offer? I'd really like to find a chassis, wire wheels, and basic mechanical parts. A rolling chassis from a 1934 roadster or sedan would be perfect, but other years would work. I can form sheet metal, weld, and do mechanical assembly. Any advice, encouragement, or plain talk that I'm totally nuts to think about this? Bob Valpey, who owns one of the original Indy cars, has been positive and is willing to let me climb over his car. [Thank you, Bob!] I'll be in South Bend, interested to discuss this with anyone.

I ordered some plans for a replica:

Here's an original:

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Having driven several real Bugattis, Alfas, and a couple of honest-ta-gosh 30s vintage Aston Martin race cars in the 70s, I had this very dream back then, Gary. I dreamed about a postwar Hudson or Packard straight 8 out front - with a cozy, two-place cockpit, etc., etc., etc..
    We had a type 59 Bugatti that had the sorta bodywork your 2-view portrays - straight chromed exhaust ending just aft of the cockpit. I've many times wondered whatever became of that car. I just COULD NOT stay out of that thing! It was addictive to drive with the performance that healthy 8 delivered ensconed in a lightweight aluminum shell!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Having driven several real Bugattis, Alfas, and a couple of honest-ta-gosh 30s vintage Aston Martin race cars in the 70s, I had this very dream back then, Gary. I dreamed about a postwar Hudson or Packard straight 8 out front - with a cozy, two-place cockpit, etc., etc., etc..
      We had a type 59 Bugatti that had the sorta bodywork your 2-view portrays - straight chromed exhaust ending just aft of the cockpit. I've many times wondered whatever became of that car. I just COULD NOT stay out of that thing! It was addictive to drive with the performance that healthy 8 delivered ensconed in a lightweight aluminum shell!

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Howdy Gary, I too have had that dream for quite a few years, and hope it to be a retirement project in the future. I have a '30 President frame and running gear lined up for my project, and a close friend of mine that has been an A&P for United Airlines for about 20 years said he would form and rivet all the skins if I would built the bucks for the shell. Now thats an offer I cant refuse! I dont want to hijack your post, but can you tell me where you found the plans for it? I had seen the blueprints available for sale a few years ago, but havent been able to find them recently. Thanks Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        I own time machines.....

Comment

Howdy Gary, I too have had that dream for quite a few years, and hope it to be a retirement project in the future. I have a '30 President frame and running gear lined up for my project, and a close friend of mine that has been an A&P for United Airlines for about 20 years said he would form and rivet all the skins if I would built the bucks for the shell. Now thats an offer I cant refuse! I dont want to hijack your post, but can you tell me where you found the plans for it? I had seen the blueprints available for sale a few years ago, but havent been able to find them recently. Thanks Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
          I own time machines.....

Comment

Greetings,garyash

I, too, think it would be a fabulous project. FWIW, go for the straight eight. With as much time, money and effort as you will have in the project, make it as close to the real Indy car as you can and it will be worth more and you'll be happier with it. Just my opinion.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Greetings,garyash

I, too, think it would be a fabulous project. FWIW, go for the straight eight. With as much time, money and effort as you will have in the project, make it as close to the real Indy car as you can and it will be worth more and you'll be happier with it. Just my opinion.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

Does Bob Valpey lock his garage?
                That might be n easy way.

Karl

Comment

Does Bob Valpey lock his garage?
                  That might be n easy way.

Karl

Comment

Somewhat related- my friend the local Stude guy restores old Indy cars for a wealthy customer in IN, specifically the Watson cars of the 60s. The customer has been finding them and sending them to Steve; a couple were only part of a frame! Steve has found and accumulated a huge stockpile of original parts from them, and has already finished several for the guy! Some of them were really butchered and torn up; and they come out looking like when they raced, only better[8D]

The goal is to finish one per year, and Steve delivers it during this weekend every year; even got to drive one around Indy a couple years ago!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Somewhat related- my friend the local Stude guy restores old Indy cars for a wealthy customer in IN, specifically the Watson cars of the 60s. The customer has been finding them and sending them to Steve; a couple were only part of a frame! Steve has found and accumulated a huge stockpile of original parts from them, and has already finished several for the guy! Some of them were really butchered and torn up; and they come out looking like when they raced, only better[8D]

The goal is to finish one per year, and Steve delivers it during this weekend every year; even got to drive one around Indy a couple years ago!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

MAY I SUGGEST YOU TRY studeracer_37@yahoo.com YOU MAY FIND SOME ASSISTANCE , THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS

Comment

MAY I SUGGEST YOU TRY studeracer_37@yahoo.com YOU MAY FIND SOME ASSISTANCE , THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS

Comment

Gary, as mentioned above, hold out for the straight eight. If you look at making this a 'real' race car, you should also be able to run your car at SVRA events. If it doesn't end up being a race car in the strictest sense, you'll still have fun with it. I think you'll find you'll be able to get a lot closer to a true race car for the period because many Indy cars were production based.

SVRA - http://svra.com/

The rules for Indy cars are going to fall under formula cars. In many cases, with minor exceptions, the rules a conformed to the period the cars ran. Why build a race car and not race it? I actually thought of building a '66 Commander or Daytona Trans Am car similar to Dan Miller's '64 Challenger.

If you do this, track the entire project with pictures. I think you'll find this to be a an adventure and treasure hunt. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Gary, as mentioned above, hold out for the straight eight. If you look at making this a 'real' race car, you should also be able to run your car at SVRA events. If it doesn't end up being a race car in the strictest sense, you'll still have fun with it. I think you'll find you'll be able to get a lot closer to a true race car for the period because many Indy cars were production based.

SVRA - http://svra.com/

The rules for Indy cars are going to fall under formula cars. In many cases, with minor exceptions, the rules a conformed to the period the cars ran. Why build a race car and not race it? I actually thought of building a '66 Commander or Daytona Trans Am car similar to Dan Miller's '64 Challenger.

If you do this, track the entire project with pictures. I think you'll find this to be a an adventure and treasure hunt. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X