No announcement yet.

The great feeling of the big thumbs up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great feeling of the big thumbs up!

I accepted an invite on fathers day to ride shotgun in my friends Studebaker Avanti.

His wife and kids were out of state, and I did not have to be asked twice.

As the cars passed us we noticed most never gave us a second glance (crazy huh?)........but then a few cars would slow down and blow their horn and shoot us a big thumbs up.......I thought to myself how 'correct' Sherwood Egbert, Loewy, and his design team were..........they created a classic for all time.....vindicated with every blow of a horn and an extended thumb out of a passenger window!

It happens everytime I drive my Avanti. Awesome stuff!
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Yep - it's a great feeling for a driver of any Studebaker.

Yesterday I went down to get a haircut and backed Barney into a space a few feet away from the windows. As I was paying, the barber (a lady in her mid-30s) looked past me and remarked "What a cute car!" The other lady barber, about the same age, came up, looked, and said "Oh, that's adorable!" I thanked them and smiled It feels great to bring a smile to someone's face with an old car! Especially when it's something as distinctive as a Studebaker!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My Stude is a babe magnet but I ain't. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's OK, Jimmijim. Mine's babe magnet, too. But they're all 85 years old.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
            it's ok, jimmijim. Mine's babe magnet, too. But they're all 85 years old.
            r o f l m a o !!!!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

"Mine's babe magnet, too. But they're all 85 years old"

Everytime I drive my 56 Golden Hawk to Walgreens (to get Rx filled) there is always some "babe" looking at the Hawk (they are also getting their Rx). They however are only 65 years old!
              sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Why is an Avanti getting passed so much?
                TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Meaning? I do not get the jist of your statement?
                  Originally posted by TDITS View Post
                  Why is an Avanti getting passed so much?

Comment

Shouldn't the Avanti be the one doing the passing? Not the other way around. Sorry just an attempt at humor.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                    Meaning? I do not get the jist of your statement?
                    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

I just love your humor !
                      Originally posted by TDITS View Post
                      Shouldn't the Avanti be the one doing the passing? Not the other way around. Sorry just an attempt at humor.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That's the amazing thing about the Avanti design - its dramatic enough to get the attention of anyone who's into cars, yet modern enough to "blend in" for everyone else.
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                          That's the amazing thing about the Avanti design - its dramatic enough to get the attention of anyone who's into cars, yet modern enough to "blend in" for everyone else.
                          Too modern. People don't believe it's almost 50 years old.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I wouldn't be knocking those 85-yr-old chicks. Two of the funnest eveings out I ever had were with the founder of our symphony, and the owner of one of the world's great jazz bars. One knew Al Capone; the other dished the dirt on Serge Koussevitzky. I'm trying to remember which.

Comment

Old chicks

I once had to share a New Years eve table at a country club with a 95 year old woman. She was great. She told me all about her honeymoon during the depression. She said,"there was just as much fooling around in the 20s and 30s as there is now. We just had the good taste not to talk about it."

Comment

Working...
                              X