PDA

View Full Version : firewall liner

Mr Mike
05-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi All,
I,m getting ready to start on the interior of my '60 Hawk, carpets, seat covers, etc. I also want to replace the firewall liner as it is torn in several places and some of the insulation is missing. I see that SI has replacements. Has anyone used one or done this? How difficult is it and what is involved?
Thanks,
Mr Mike

jbwhttail
05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I replaced the one in my hawk and it took very little time. This may not be the perfect way but it is easy and unless you stand on your head under the dash it will never be seen.

Pull the old liner off by your hands, it will probably crumble. Then take a set of needlenose pliers or regular pliers and pull on the old "push pins" that held it. They pop out fairly easy, some may break.

Take the new under dash pad and look just to the right of the steering column area, you should see an area of pad about 2" vertical that will go around a dash brace. Split the pad on the right side of that brace cut out and install as two pieces. Add the push pins back and if you have any broken ones go to hardware storeand get self threading Stove Bolts, the heads look the same as the pins and you can use them in places under the hood(Firewall) where they can't be seen.

Took my son and I under an hour to complete.

To do it in one piece you will need to remove the steering column.

Last time I do this,I promise

rockne10
05-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Ernie Loga also has them available. Whomever it's from, precut, ready to install saves time, gives a nice finish and costs money.

I support these vendors. For those on a tight budget, with time on their hands, the materials to produce your own are available from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa.

Mr Mike
05-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks - very good feedback
Mr Mike