Studebaker Champion year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Champion year?

I aquired a studebaker champion coupe with some land I purchased. Was wondering if someone could tell me anything about it and the year. S/N on the drivers door post is G755394. It has a 6 cyl.engine and manual trans. Car is mostly complete although floor is rusty as it was sitting on the ground with no wheels. Sleek looking little coupe though. Thanks.

Welcome. I'll take a stab at it being a 1950 Champion made in South Bend. Does it have a bullet nose front end? If not, it may be a Canadian built 1953 Champion which would make more sense from your description. The serial numbers are similar for those two years in my book depending on where it was built. On the upper cowl/firewall under the hood on the passenger side of the car is a body tag. Please tell us what that looks like.

Does the front end look like this?

Or similar to this '54?
    Last edited by barnlark; 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

From what I can determine, it looks like G755394 would be a late-production 1954 Champion assembled in Hamilton ON, Studebaker's Canadian Assembly facility. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, it looks like the bottom picture of the canadian car. So probably the 53-54 year then. Is this car a fairly common car? Is it worth looking at restoring and parts availability? Thanks for the help.

Comment

A '54 coupe is a desirable car. Can you post some pictures? It may be a candidate for restoration or it may be a parts car, condition is everything.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will try to get a pic and maybe a firewall number.

Comment

That firewall tag will really tell us all we need to know to answer your original questions.
              Photos will answer ours!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by laurfarm View Post
                Thanks, it looks like the bottom picture of the canadian car. So probably the 53-54 year then. Is this car a fairly common car? Is it worth looking at restoring and parts availability? Thanks for the help.
                Glad you got the correct answer to your original question by Bob. I'm not very good at those older serial number IDs. I only showed the right car by accident.

Not to confuse you, but the second picture I posted above is not a Canadian car, it was a 1954 Champion made in South Bend, Indiana. Yours was made in the Hamilton, Ontario Studebaker plant, as discovered by your car's serial number. At the time your car was made Studebaker had a plant in South Bend, Los Angeles (Vernon), and Hamilton. There were other facilities building them around the world as well, but that's a longer story. If you have trouble posting pictures of your car just send a private message to one of us who responded above and we can share our regular email addresses and post them for you. At least I will!

Comment

Working...
                X