Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this guy saying???????

How can this be?

having looked at that custom bodywork, I hope it does remain the ONLY ONE on the planet . . .
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Some cars you just.. Don't mess with..

Comment

If anyone is interested in it I can look at it in about a half hour drive, might go look any way.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I can look at it in about a half hour drive, might go look any way.
          Better get some of those wrap-around dark glasses gomers with cataracts wear. Looking directly at that could sear your retinas.

I'd come across one such modification back when and was similarly gobsmacked by the sight. So there are at least two guys who always felt the Avanti needed a proper grille opening up front.

Come to think of it, didn't Raymond Loewy add some abomination V-trim to the front of his Avanti?

jack vines
          Last edited by PackardV8; 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM.
          PackardV8

Comment

When you start a custom project, you should be prepared to finish it yourself... because few others will share your vision.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Didja see, "This ad is under construction"? That's the description. He'd better hurry and finish. I can't hold my laughs much longer.

Heck, I think those round air inlets on the front fenders are neat-o. They allow the air to cool the brakes and that chrome thing behind the wheels allows all the brake dust out. Good planning! AND that big hole in the front where he forgot to put a grille means rocks won't chip paint that ain't there.

JP, is this a cheap Avanti?

John

Comment

Customizing is customizing! The idea behind it is to create something that no one else has.
                That said.....this guy had is own vision on how he would like his Avanti to look??? And the balls to try it.
                My wife doesn't like Avantis because she thinks they needed a grill. Just her opinion because she is used to seeing cars with grills.
                She would probably like this mans vision.
                It is "ALL" good when you get pleasure out of what you are doing.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Yer gonna need a barf bag...

Comment

Skip the stuff on the sides...
                    The grille opening 'almost' has a good look to it....

Loved the $12 worth of rattlecan primer and the hour of hand sanding done to it.
                    Wonder how much Bondo is smeared on there?
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well, the grill opening doesn't look too bad but final results would depend a lot on what sort of "mesh" gets put in it... The weird air intakes on the front fenders are not all that attactive IMO. The rear one in front of the rear wheel is sorta OK tho...

I think the mods look better with black/grey primer as-is and putting shiney paint on it would not be a good thing. Gives it a bit 'o mad-max look.

JMHO...

Jeff in ND

Comment

And not only is the ad under construction, he parks the car in the middle of the street to take the photos. duh.

Comment

WOW what a mess. I'd say the '66 Olds 442 "vents" behind the wheel openings might be worth more than the car itself !!

Comment

As long as I live, I will never understand why someone would take a beautiful car like the Avanti and butcher it.
                            Boggles the mind.
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Amen Brother Rog! Just plain ugly.
                              Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment