Unless I'm missing something, here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless I'm missing something, here...

...this is a doggone nice entry-level Studebaker under $4,000. A V-8 2-door with working stick overdrive; what a nice little package:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    ...this is a doggone nice entry-level Studebaker under $4,000. A V-8 2-door with working stick overdrive; what a nice little package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...item43a77b268e
    It's only under 4K for now, I'd expect it to end higher.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
      It's only under 4K for now, I'd expect it to end higher.
      True. We'll know in less than a day.

From the appearance of the listing, I assume there is either no reserve or it has been met; correct? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        True. We'll know in less than a day.

From the appearance of the listing, I assume there is either no reserve or it has been met; correct? BP

Yep, it will sell.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

That's a nicely optioned car. Stick, 259, Hill Holder, reclining seats, Climatizer, radio, good upholstery. Great driver!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It's just the kind of Lark I've been looking for and it's not far away, so I'm watching it closely.
            Last edited by irish; 06-12-2011, 06:35 AM.
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Good thing it's in Texas or I would be pining over it myself.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

It has the look of "grandpa's" Lark!

Comment

Looks like a good prospect to me. If I were in the market for one, I would like to see some frame pics. However, even with the few paint bubbles showing, it looks like a good value. Unless there is an end of auction spike, this could even be reasonable for a patient re-seller.

I like the fact that the seller provided pics of the headliner. This could be one of those rare reasonable "sleeper" deals that are few and far between these days, especially on eBay.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yeah, I have been convincing myself it is too far away... would be a no-brainer for me if it was a four speed and the radio was factory, everything else pushes the right buttons. An hour to go (more or less) still under 4K... hmmmmm only a few days' drive to bring it home...

Comment

Agree, that would be a great everyday Stude

would be a no-brainer for me if it was a four speed
                      Your needs may be different, but I've owned both a 4-speed and the 3-speed overdrive. For normal driving, the overdrive is by far the more pleasant. For drag strip use, yes, a 4-speed is best. However, on the road, the four wider ratios of the overdrive can use that 3.73 rear axle ratio for quicker acceleration and then drop into 2.61 for a relaxed highway cruise. The flat torque curve of the Studebaker 259" doesn't really benefit much from a closer ratio gearbox. One contemporary road test noted, "It doesn't make a tenth of a second difference if third is skipped." With the 4-speed, it's having to choose a rear axle ratio that's either a dog on acceleration or screaming at 70 MPH, or a little bit of both.

One thing I do which makes purists cringe is I install a Hurst floor shift on any manual transmission Stude. For me, it doubles the driving pleasure. You may not want a hole in the transmission tunnel, thus stay with the sloppy and imprecise column shift. Your car, your decision.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Was thinking both ways, actually... a bit more hot-rod, plus the "trifecta", as I have three speed and automatic 62 two doors already ;-)

Comment

Was thinking both ways, actually... a bit more hot-rod, plus the "trifecta", as I have three speed and automatic 62 two doors already ;-)
                          Then my info was old news to you. Still, a 259" 2-bbl is never going to be much of a hot rod. To get the performance benefit to balance the lesser utility, I'd want at least the 289" 4-bbl dual exhaust. Was that an option in a '62 sedan?

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Sold at $5,200. If the car was a solid Texas car, I believe it was worth it. BP

Comment

Bob, I totally agree. Someone got a real bargain and a nice car to boot. I love the combination of the V-8, stick and overdrive. It also has a Hill Holder and reclining seats. I don't think we'd see too many base models with reclining seats. Anyway, nice car.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X