Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert H. Doehler

Gentlemen,

I am the only surviving nephew of Robert Doehler. He was a designer/stylist for Studebaker during their last years in business. I am looking for information about him, specifially photo's of him, his body shop in Milwaukee and his 300SL Gullwing. The Mercedes Benz factory museum is putting together a 6 minute video about Bob. Any information is/will be appreciated. You can email me dpdavtek@wideopenwest.com

David Doehler
    Northville, MI

[quote]Originally posted by Doehler

Gentlemen,

I am the only surviving nephew of Robert Doehler. He was a designer/stylist for Studebaker during their last years in business. I am looking for information about him, specifially photo's of him, his body shop in Milwaukee and his 300SL Gullwing. The Mercedes Benz factory museum is putting together a 6 minute video about Bob. Any information is/will be appreciated. You can email me dpdavtek@wideopenwest.com

David Doehler

If anyone will have some photos of him working on clay models in the Studebaker styling studio, it would be Richard Quinn.

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Doehler

Gentlemen,

David Doehler

If anyone will have some photos of him working on clay models in the Studebaker styling studio, it would be Richard Quinn.

Craig

Comment

That 300SL is the one that the Studebaker Drivers' Club newsletter "Turning Wheels" did a story on. It was purchased from Studebaker Packard Parts depot, part by part and hand assembled by Bob.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That 300SL is the one that the Studebaker Drivers' Club newsletter "Turning Wheels" did a story on. It was purchased from Studebaker Packard Parts depot, part by part and hand assembled by Bob.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Regarding Bob's 300SL, Rich writes: "It was purchased from Studebaker Packard Parts depot, part by part and hand assembled by Bob."

[:0][:0][:0][:0] My Gosh! Can you IMAGINE what it would cost to assemble a Mercedes by ordering it PART BY PART???????!!!!!!!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Regarding Bob's 300SL, Rich writes: "It was purchased from Studebaker Packard Parts depot, part by part and hand assembled by Bob."

[:0][:0][:0][:0] My Gosh! Can you IMAGINE what it would cost to assemble a Mercedes by ordering it PART BY PART???????!!!!!!!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rich,

Yes the 300SL was mostly purched from Studebaker parts depot. Ufortunately Bob passed away before he could complete the project. It was assembled by Scott Grundfor at his restoration facility in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Dave Doehler

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA

Comment

Rich,

Yes the 300SL was mostly purched from Studebaker parts depot. Ufortunately Bob passed away before he could complete the project. It was assembled by Scott Grundfor at his restoration facility in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Dave Doehler

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA

Comment

The book "Studebaker 1946-1966" by Dick Langworth has six pages with references to Bob Doehler, but no pictures of him. There are pictures of his work, like the fiberglass front on the C-cab pickup.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The book "Studebaker 1946-1966" by Dick Langworth has six pages with references to Bob Doehler, but no pictures of him. There are pictures of his work, like the fiberglass front on the C-cab pickup.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well Bob; I think at Studebaker's parts prices, AND with Bob's employee discount, a LOT less than a complete one. In those days they didn't double and triple the parts prices like they do today, at least not at Studebaker! I remember selling '59 Lark tail light lenses in 1970 for $2.50 at the dealer, Frost & French! We had a 6 ft. high pallot of em!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

[:0][:0][:0][:0] My Gosh! Can you IMAGINE what it would cost to assemble a Mercedes by ordering it PART BY PART?!!
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well Bob; I think at Studebaker's parts prices, AND with Bob's employee discount, a LOT less than a complete one. In those days they didn't double and triple the parts prices like they do today, at least not at Studebaker! I remember selling '59 Lark tail light lenses in 1970 for $2.50 at the dealer, Frost & French! We had a 6 ft. high pallot of em!

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

[:0][:0][:0][:0] My Gosh! Can you IMAGINE what it would cost to assemble a Mercedes by ordering it PART BY PART?!!
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I knew Bob very well. I still have many hours of taped interviews I had with him at his shop in Milwaukee. Also have a 64 page oral history interview done by the Edsel B. Ford Design History Center in 1987. Very well done. In addition many photos of Bob. Buzz Beckman was also a good friend and probably knew him better than anyone else in the SDC.

R. Quinn
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I knew Bob very well. I still have many hours of taped interviews I had with him at his shop in Milwaukee. Also have a 64 page oral history interview done by the Edsel B. Ford Design History Center in 1987. Very well done. In addition many photos of Bob. Buzz Beckman was also a good friend and probably knew him better than anyone else in the SDC.

R. Quinn
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X