Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinions please- which do you like best, vintage or modern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions please- which do you like best, vintage or modern?

When I bought my '64 Avanti the Halibrands on it had been harvested by a collector and the man who I bought the car from put on American Racing Torque Thrusts with 225x60x16s. My wife likes them and I sort of do, but they are too low a profile (smaller diameter than 6.70x15s) which messes up my speedometer and hurts my already too low ground clearance. I would kind of like to go to a stock appearance with Ford 15x6 wheels and 215x75x15 tires (almost exactly the height of 6.70x15s. Which do you like?
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I lave the American Racing Torque Thrusts .
    sigpic

Comment

I have Salt Flat Specials on mine.
      I was parked next to the Roger Ward Avanti at the Chicago meet
      and they are very close to the Halibrands that were on it from back in the day.

Comment

I say put the Halibrands back on it. You can't beat an Avanti with a polished set of Hilibrands!

Comment

If you don't want the Halibrand's, I'd take them and put them on my '76 Avanti. They look great on the car. A speedo repair shop could get the speed and reading synched.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

For driving 'everyday', go with a set of the American Racing wheels with tires that you like, and keep the Halibrands with the original size tires ready-to-go in the garage for weekend show'n'shines. I see that done fairly often here on late 60's muscle cars.

Craig

Comment

The whitewalls with Avanti wheelcovers look good to me.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

ditto on the wheel covers

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                  I say put the Halibrands back on it. You can't beat an Avanti with a polished set of Hilibrands!

I agree, but at 4-5K a set, they are not a option for many. Maybe sell the mag you have and buy some 15x6's ? Besides, the Halibrands require a lot of attention.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    For driving 'everyday', go with a set of the American Racing wheels with tires that you like, and keep the Halibrands with the original size tires ready-to-go in the garage for weekend show'n'shines. I see that done fairly often here on late 60's muscle cars.

Craig
                    Me too. I vascillate, so I say have both, and change back and forth as the mood strikes.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Vintage looks awesome
                      Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

The stock wheel covers are part of the design's iconic look. They get my vote.
                        The mags remind me too much of my high school days when they were on everything. By now they're so old, they're "retro" cool..but they still look somewhat low-rent to me...again based on my experience with them.
                        On an Avanti with its factory rake, they make the car look like a full scale Hot Wheels toy.

In the end, it's your car..have fun!
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I like the Americans. You can put some larger 70 series tires on them to help with speedo error.

Gordon

Comment

My wife and I both like the mags best. They give the car a more aggressive look in my opinion.
                            \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                            Jim Mann
                            Victoria, B.C.
                            Canada

Comment

I agree that back in the day most people had Crager SS wheels on their cars, so I never cared for them due to that fact. I always liked the look of Keystone Kustomags & now I have a set on my Ranger pickup & another set that I can put on one of my Studes when I wish. My #1 Avanti has the original wheel/whitewall combo & I'm happy with that, but if the itch ever surfaces, there is a quick alternative.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X