Avanti mention at family reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti mention at family reunion

Went to a family reunion today (90+ degrees.....where else would we be) & mentioned to one of my cousins that I was working on a 55 studebaker. Another relative, from Texas, overheard me & said "Studebakers? I had a Studebaker once...cost me my job." He went on to tell us he was working at a Chevrolet dealership in '64 & thought the new Stude sports car looked cool. He asked for a day off & went & bought a new 64 Avanti.

He drove it to work the next day & parked in the back. His boss asked him what he did on his day off & he replied "oh just some personal business." The boss pressed harder & he finally admitted that he bought a new car. The boss thought that since he didn't get the car thru their dealership, he must have bought a Ford. "Heavens no, never a ford, but it's a Studebaker!" was the comeback. The boss saw no humor in it & told him that if he couldn't support the local brand, he could find a job somewhere else. He told me that he never regretted the purchase & had lots of fun with that 4 speed Avanti. Things got busy & I never got the chance to ask him any more questions about the car or where the dealership was in Texas that he bought the car.
    Mike Sal

Cool beans, Mike. That has to be a first, a Chevrolet dealer riding high in the mid 1960s, feeling threatened by a 1964 Studebaker of any kind. 'Helluva story! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Where in Texas did did he buy it? I worked for 2. One in Baytown and one in Pasadena TX. Bought parts from Mosehart & Keller in Hoston. Once boughy a 2 four manifold for $25 and a standard bellhousing for $18.
      allen

Comment

I worked at a Ford dealership service dept. in 1966. The service mgr drove a Dodge,Chief mech. Drove a Merc. #2 mech drove a 57 Chevy. The 17 year old grease monkey(me) drove a Studebaker. Talk about brand loyalty?
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
        X