PDA

View Full Version : June 3 Stude bldg demo photos NOW POSTED

BobPalma
06-04-2011, 07:16 AM
OK, computer whiz kids:

I was in South Bend yesterday (Friday, June 3) to attend a talk by automotive stylist Virgil Exner Jr. at the Studebaker National Museum in the afternoon. (Interesting; I did not realize the Jr. Mr. Exner probably did as much styling as did his father.)

Anyway, I got to town early to sneak round the Engineering and Foundry demolition sites and take photos before having lunch with good friend Don Galeziewski at the original Bonnie Doons (YUM). 'Too many workers around to sneak inside the Engineering Building, but I did enter and explore the Foundy interior undetected...or at least unmolested.

I took maybe 10 photos and wanted to post them here on the forum. I think I've finally figured out this Photobucket downloading and uploading-to-forum thing as I've been able to sucessfully post several photos of late. I had trouble getting these into Photobucket until I copied them to My Pictures on my computer. Then Photobucket could upload them. Go figure. (Thanks to Dave Arnold, Patrick Mallin, and Chris Dresbach for offering suggestions.)

All photos taken 11:30 AM Friday, June 3, 2011.

Engineering Building, corner of Franklin and Sample Streets:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1477.jpg

West Side of Engineering Building:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1478.jpg

Talk about irony. This sign is right smack dab where the famous December 9, 1963 "Gate Picture" was taken that snowy, fateful day when "the announcement" was made and workers were trudging through the snow and slush to go home at the end of their shift:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1479.jpg

Front of Engineering Building. You can see where the famous Studebaker Wheel up high was carefully removed and has been stored securely, we are told:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1480.jpg

Entrance to Foundry Demolition site off Prairie Avenue by old gate house:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1481.jpg

Foundry Interior, looking SE:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1482.jpg

Foundry Interior, looking East:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1484.jpg

Foundry Interior, looking SE again:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1485.jpg

Foundry Interior, looking ENE:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1486.jpg

Foundry Gate House/Guard Shack. My car is immediately to the right along Prairie Avenue, out of the picture. The large overhead doorway at the upper left, behind the sign, is the doorway through which I walked to take the interior photos posted above:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1487.jpg

As I have said previously, seeing the foundry come down is my saddest disappointment. Imagine Studebaker's 1950 production year: Over 1,000 engine blocks and 1,000 cylinder heads were cast right here every working day. BP

Chris_Dresbach
06-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I would wait a while and try again with photobucket. Sometimes the uploads can "act up" and not work... I have over a thousand on my account, 12 is NOT an overload.

What's left in the foundry? The last time I was in there the city was just beginning to scrap out what little was left in there.

DavidValk
06-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Take a look at http://www.tinypic.com. I've never had any trouble with them, even when just linking.

BobPalma
06-04-2011, 01:17 PM
What's left in the foundry? The last time I was in there the city was just beginning to scrap out what little was left in there.

Not much, Chris. There was a big pile of old tires, several hundred, probably, and piles of scrap iron and steel that had been cut from various locations. All the vertical uprights supporting the roof have been labeled with some sort of marking that I am sure will be involved in their coming down in a certain order.

I wanted to wander further east to the cupola area, but I had seen some workers out in the yard who I think may have watched me go in, and I was clearly inside all the warning areas about hard hats and such. They would not have believed any statements about my hard head being adequate protection! <GGG>

I was afraid I'd get too far from my escape route if they came after me. (I wasn't afraid for my physical well-being, but I didn't want them to say anything about my taking pictures and maybe try to confiscate my camera.) BP

White Hawk
06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
The foundry was utilized as a foundary from 1928 until 1963, some 35 years. From 1963 until 2011, almost 48 years it was pretty much derelict storage. It's time was up: however, I am still sorry to see it go!

Bob, thanks for the photos.

studegary
06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Those buildings sure look substantial enough. They could have been gutted and saved for eventual re-use. Then they could receive modern windows, electrical, plumbing, heat, A/C for whatever use they could be put to.
To me, it is a waste to just tear them down to make empty space. There are some old factory and large department store buildings here in Dutchess County, NY that have received that type of treatment (gut and then refurbish for a different use). Of course, small, fairly new buildings are torn down all the time around here (a free-standing Friendly's Restaurant this week).
It appears that the City of South Bend is newer than Studebaker. I guess that the growth of Studebaker spurred the development of the South Bend area resulting in a city.

8E45E
06-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Not much, Chris. There was a big pile of old tires, several hundred, probably, and piles of scrap iron and steel that had been cut from various locations.

I doubt its ever been THAT clean in there since it opened! I wonder what happened to all that sand that was used for casting the blocks.

Craig

jclary
06-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I wanted to wander further east to the cupola area, but I had seen some workers out in the yard who I think may have watched me go in, and I was clearly inside all the warning areas about hard hats and such. They would not have believed any statements about my hard head being adequate protection! <GGG>

I was afraid I'd get too far from my escape route if they came after me. (I wasn't afraid for my physical well-being, but I didn't want them to say anything about my taking pictures and maybe try to confiscate my camera.) BP

I bet there is a lot of us who would make a contribution to the museum just to see a video of you trying to sprint out of that building like a twelve-year-old who'd been caught in farmer Jones' watermelon patch!:):cool::):p

Chris_Dresbach
06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the photos, Bob. Looks like my thoughs about what was going on in there were right, they brought down a few walls and gutted it out. I have to agree that it hasn't been that clean in years. That foundry floor was a mess the last time I was in there! I really hate to see those buildings go. I know the foundry was beyond saving in most parts. There was a hole in the roof near the cupolas that a few semis could have fit through. The engineering building however was basically my home-away-from-home for a long time and I still say it could have been saved. I will say though, I wish the city would save more of the old buildings and reuse them. There has been a lot of demolition around here lately, and anything built is too new... The city just dosen't have that "old flavor" to it anymore in some parts.

BobPalma
06-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I doubt its ever been THAT clean in there since it opened! I wonder what happened to all that sand that was used for casting the blocks. Craig

Well Craig; I still have a pretty good-sized cooler-full of it (about 6 gallons of it, I'd guess) in my garage from 2002. My wife keeps threatening to spread it on her garden, but I tell her it is sacred and constitutes hallowed ground...er, sand. <GGG> BP

BobPalma
06-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I bet there is a lot of us who would make a contribution to the museum just to see a video of you trying to sprint out of that building like a twelve-year-old who'd been caught in farmer Jones' watermelon patch!:):cool::):p

That could probably be arranged, John. We'd call in one of the video crews that make the shows like Operation Repo, Pawn Stars, etc., and pay off the demolition workers to act as if they were genuinely chasing me off the property.

(However, I doubt that my sprinting capabilities would approach those of a 12-year-old beating a hasty retreat from Farmer Jones' watermelon patch!) <GGG> BP

BobPalma
06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
The foundry was utilized as a foundry from 1928 until 1963, some 35 years. From 1963 until 2011, almost 48 years it was pretty much derelict storage. It's time was up: however, I am still sorry to see it go!

Bob, thanks for the photos.

You're welcome, Mike. I realize it is a priviledge to be able to be in South Bend in three hours, and have the opportunity to do so. I was also doing a little research at the museum for a happy item coming up in the August Co-Operator I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

The foundry was actually used by Chrysler as a foundry in the late 1960s, so it wasn't dormant quite as long as might be imagined. I do not have particulars on Chrysler's terms of usage, however. BP

Clem64
06-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the great photos Bob. While we did go into the Engineering Bldg. and buy some items from Dennis when we were there in '06, we only did a drive around tour of the rest of the plant. We should have stayed longer.

Milaca
06-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos Bob. I could make use of one of those foundry I-beams to build a wood spliter. :) I appreciate all of you that contribute updates of all things Studebaker in South Bend.

Welcome
06-04-2011, 11:46 PM
>>>The foundry was actually used by Chrysler as a foundry in the late 1960s, so it wasn't dormant quite as long as might be imagined. I do not have particulars on Chrysler's terms of usage, however. BP

Wow, learn something new every day on this Forum!:rolleyes:

I knew for sure Cummins Engine's Great Lakes Casting Div. used the former Studebaker foundry in the late '60s, but never knew Chrysler snuck into town to use it also.;)

BobPalma
06-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Wow, learn something new every day on this Forum!:rolleyes:

I knew for sure Cummins Engine's Great Lakes Casting Div. used the former Studebaker foundry in the late '60s, but never knew Chrysler snuck into town to use it also.;)

Jim, might this be one and the same?

I hadn't heard of Cummins Engines Great Lakes Casting Division and, as I said earlier, have no details of Chrysler Corporation per se using the former Studebaker foundry in the late 1960s. So, could this be one of those arrangements where Chrysler contracted with a Cummins entity known as Great Lakes Casting Division to produce some castings, or visa-versa?

If so, what company was doing what under contract for another company could easily get jumbled up as to identifying the actual end user of the foundry.

Just theorizing; I have no knowledge of any arrangements. BP

StudeMichael
06-05-2011, 10:35 AM
When I was 12 years old in the late 1970's I dreamed of seeing these buildings. I was fortunate to see the majority of them including the interior of the Admin building in 1993 when I attended the 30th Anniversary Avanti Meet.

The ultimate would be SDC using the Admin building as our club headquarters someday.

R2Andrea
06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Studebaker finished up in the foundry in early to mid 1964. The property was then sold to and used by Great Lakes Castings, a division of the Cummins Engine Company. They stayed in operation untill 1969. Great Lakes did some jobbing work in addition to their casting for Cummins. The long ram style intakes for Chrysler were one of the things poured there.

White Hawk
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Based upon Andy's information it seems that the foundry was used as a foundry for 41 years, a little less than half of it's 83 year life (1928 - 2011).

Hawklover
06-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Thought question.............once all the extant buildings are raised that had anything to do with Studebaker, what would be the rationale of continued National Meets held in South bend?

Just asking, is all:-)

StudeMichael
06-05-2011, 04:25 PM
What will still be there is the Administration building, Museum, Studebaker club house/proving ground. tree sign and Tippecanoe place. Still enough to visit.

BobPalma
06-05-2011, 04:33 PM
What StudeMichael said. The Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club has virtually nothing in Detroit, but they still look forward to National Meets sponsored by the aptly-named Hudson Home Chapter. BP

Welcome
06-05-2011, 06:58 PM
What will still be there is the Administration building, Museum, Studebaker club house/proving ground. tree sign and Tippecanoe place. Still enough to visit.

Add a couple more to the list most over look:

The "Studebaker" UAW Local # 5 Union Hall
http://tinyurl.com/3cuxc3z

The SNM Archives

White Hawk
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
There is also plant 8 (Aviation), now home, in part, to Stude International.

acandilas
06-06-2011, 11:21 AM
You are not missing much, the place is cleaned as you have said and from the looks of it.. Should had some more guts and venture deeper in like my friend done many times, he can show you 90 percent of the whole plant including the offices as they were clearing everything out. According to him the area around the cupola area(including the room with air compressor(expect for one) ) has been recently clear of any sizeable debis than the last time anyone of you guys last been in. One more thing, when my friend was in the engineering blgd about a month ago. He showed me photo of a (recenlty?) swap meet that someone forgot to take before they left for good.

Not much, Chris. There was a big pile of old tires, several hundred, probably, and piles of scrap iron and steel that had been cut from various locations. All the vertical uprights supporting the roof have been labeled with some sort of marking that I am sure will be involved in their coming down in a certain order.

Retired
06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Recent re-building ,restoration of a 1928 built 11 story hotel, here in Davenport, Iowa, consumed 39 Million $. It can be done but not cheep. Finished product contained hotel rooms and condo's, condo's sold out, commerical space at street level all leased.

studegary
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Studebaker finished up in the foundry in early to mid 1964. The property was then sold to and used by Great Lakes Castings, a division of the Cummins Engine Company. They stayed in operation untill 1969. Great Lakes did some jobbing work in addition to their casting for Cummins. The long ram style intakes for Chrysler were one of the things poured there.

Late 1964 seems like much too late to be casting "long ram style intakes for Chrysler". I remember the long rams as being used in 1960 models (plus or minus).

BobPalma
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Late 1964 seems like much too late to be casting "long ram style intakes for Chrysler". I remember the long rams as being used in 1960 models (plus or minus).

Agreed, Gary; I believe the outrageous long, cross-over ram manifolding was available 1960 and 1961 only. If they were casting anything like that in 1964, it would have been for service stock, and that's hard to imagine. "Never say never," of course. BP

StudeMichael
06-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Recent re-building ,restoration of a 1928 built 11 story hotel, here in Davenport, Iowa, consumed 39 Million $. It can be done but not cheep. Finished product contained hotel rooms and condo's, condo's sold out, commerical space at street level all leased.

There is also the Baker Hotel project in Mineral Springs TX. About $50,000,000.00 to $60,000,000.00 projecct. The hotel consists of 450 rooms and they are cutting the amount of rooms down to 300. Bonnie and Clyde had a favorite room there as did Marilyn Monroe and some other famous Hollywood types.

http://www.statesman.com/business/real-estate/austin-hotelier-trigger-to-lead-restoration-of-mineral-862888.html

Chris_Dresbach
06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
There is also plant 8 (Aviation), now home, in part, to Stude International.

Plant 8 was actually demolished a few years ago. It was back behind the Aviation plant and is now literally a scrap yard. I wish it was still there, I never got to venture inside. I guess AM General owned it for a long time until they sold it to "Green Tech" recycling. The Aviation/Truck plant was plant(s) 3 & 4.

White Hawk
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Chris, your right....thx for the correction!

R2Andrea
06-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Several things, The Chrysler manifolds may have been a service part run. I got the info from a former Stude/Great Lakes employee and unfortunately he has since passed away. IIRC there were 2 styles of the Chrysler cross rams and he was unclear as to which ones they had poured. Part of Plant 8 is still standing. The original part of the building was built in 1924 and was torn down by the recycling company that occupies the property now. After WWII there was a fairly large addition of reinforced concrete and brick added to the south west side of bldg 91. This addition is what is still standing. FWIW Studebaker purchased several tracts of land which ran from Ewing Ave. on the north to Chippewa Ave. on the south in about 1919. South Side Little League now occupies what was once known as Lippencott Field. Plant 8 is located some distance to the south of the ball park, on the south side of Eckman St. The tank farm and it's attendant structures, powerplant, soluable oil recovery bldg., chip house, water tower and several small structures were all built on that parcel of land to the east of Plant 3 when Plant 3 was being built. Green Tech didn't get the Plant 8 property from AM General. IIRC it was sold off by LTV and GreenTech acquired it later in a tax forclosure sale. There also used to be a building on the south side of Chippewa just to the west of Plants 3&4 which was used as a finish line and export building. It was demolished a number of years ago but it's floor slab is still there. It's now a parking lot for a logistics company which services the AM General facility in Plant 3.

Milaca
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
It would be great if R2Andy would give a guided tour of the Studebaker remains when the national meet is held next year. So much there that I dont know about and would like to see. What do you say Andy?? :)

BobPalma
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
It would be great if R2Andy would give a guided tour of the Studebaker remains when the national meet is held next year. So much there that I dont know about and would like to see. What do you say Andy?? :)

Good idea, Brent; I second the motion.

Andy, are you up for it? BP

Welcome
06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Several things, The Chrysler manifolds may have been a service part run. I got the info from a former Stude/Great Lakes employee and unfortunately he has since passed away. IIRC there were 2 styles of the Chrysler cross rams and he was unclear as to which ones they had poured. Part of Plant 8 is still standing. The original part of the building was built in 1924 and was torn down by the recycling company that occupies the property now. After WWII there was a fairly large addition of reinforced concrete and brick added to the south west side of bldg 91. This addition is what is still standing. FWIW Studebaker purchased several tracts of land which ran from Ewing Ave. on the north to Chippewa Ave. on the south in about 1919. South Side Little League now occupies what was once known as Lippencott Field. Plant 8 is located some distance to the south of the ball park, on the south side of Eckman St. The tank farm and it's attendant structures, powerplant, soluable oil recovery bldg., chip house, water tower and several small structures were all built on that parcel of land to the east of Plant 3 when Plant 3 was being built. Green Tech didn't get the Plant 8 property from AM General. IIRC it was sold off by LTV and GreenTech acquired it later in a tax forclosure sale. There also used to be a building on the south side of Chippewa just to the west of Plants 3&4 which was used as a finish line and export building. It was demolished a number of years ago but it's floor slab is still there. It's now a parking lot for a logistics company which services the AM General facility in Plant 3.

All very, very good, Andy!!!:cool:

I noticed you didn't drop the "bomb-shell" as yet about finding Peter Studebaker's original farm house nor identify the location & detailed plans where Studebaker was planning to build a new (then) state-of-the-art automotive manufacturing facility in South Bend. Hmmm....perhaps you're saving all that until the 2012 IM???

R2Andrea
06-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Jim, SHHHHHHHHH!
That is TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED INFORMATION! Actually I can count on 1 hand, the number of people I've shown that drawing to. Maybe I can get a hold of a Stude bus and run a tour circuit- "The Lost Treasures of Studebaker" LOL. Bob, how long would it be before you and George would disappear from the group and end up "lost"?

BobPalma
06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
That is TOP SECRET CLASSIFIED INFORMATION! Actually I can count on 1 hand, the number of people I've shown that drawing to. Maybe I can get a hold of a Stude bus and run a tour circuit- "The Lost Treasures of Studebaker" LOL. Bob, how long would it be before you and George would disappear from the group and end up "lost?"

Once, Andy, I think we lasted 12 minutes before getting lost, but it was tough! BP

1954khardtop
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
On related topic, another iconic transportation manufacturing plant is coming down. The ALCO (American Locomotive) plant in Schenectady, NY is being demolished. Todays Daily Gazette (www.dailygazette.com (http://www.dailygazette.com)) has some pictures.

BobPalma
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
South Bend native Don Galeziewski researched the possible Chrysler / Studebaker Foundry connection, if any. Here is what he said in an e-mail today:

Bob: Cummins took over operation of the foundry in 1964 for diesel engine castings and closed it in 1969 because necessary plant modernizations were too costly. What I remember from my late brother-in-law, Chrysler used the body assembly building as a parts depot for some years. They did not have anything to do with the foundry other than using Cummins diesel engines in their trucks.

There you have it. I stand corrected in that the only "Chrysler" use of the foundry would have been using Cummins diesel engines in Chrysler Corporation trucks...and were they even doing that between 1964-1969? BP

2R2
06-09-2011, 06:24 PM
This brings up something I have often wondered about...who DID occupy the Studebaker buildings post December '63? I know South Bend Lathe took over one of them, and of course Allied Stamping...did they stamp any parts for Studebaker's Canadian operation? How about the other buildings?
Finally, Studebaker did not merge with Worthington until 1967 - how long did they occupy and utilize the adminisration building? I believe it was given the school board in '69, but I am curious about how long Stude management utilized it. Imagine a Stude manager driving to work at the administration building post '64, past all of the former factory buildings....
My first trip to South Bend was in '73 - I visited the museam in the administration building and took a tour of the Avanti factory; sure wish I would have taken more pictures....

Chris_Dresbach
06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
*Update*
As of today (6/9/11) the engineering building is all but a pile of rubble. The face of the building and the entire side facing Franklin street are completely gone. The only parts still standing are the stairs to the second floor in the front of the building with the restrooms on top, and the secton above the cold room in the middle of the building. EVERYTHING else is completely gone. This is extremely sad for me. :(

BobPalma
06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Bummer. BP

R2Andrea
06-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes Bob, Cummins diesels were available in the Dodge heavy trucks during that time period. And I can remember seeing boxes with the Mopar markings on them through the windows of building 113, the 2 story addition to the south of the Body Plant

Chris_Dresbach
06-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Bummer. BP

Indeed. :(
As of today... (6/10/1)
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/Photo061017271.jpg

BobPalma
06-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes Bob, Cummins diesels were available in the Dodge heavy trucks during that time period. And I can remember seeing boxes with the Mopar markings on them through the windows of building 113, the 2 story addition to the south of the Body Plant

Thank goodness I'm exonerated, since you saw MoPar boxes through the building windows, Andy."Chrysler" did use the foundry after all, albeit indirectly... <GGG> BP

Welcome
06-11-2011, 06:30 AM
!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!

Will Cummins Engine also be coming back to the former Studebaker Foundry? …or building a new foundry on that site??? Only time will tell.;):rolleyes::)

http://tinyurl.com/42odwwj

StudHawk60
06-11-2011, 09:54 AM
!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!

Will Cummins Engine also be coming back to the former Studebaker Foundry? …or building a new foundry on that site??? Only time will tell.;):rolleyes::)

http://tinyurl.com/42odwwj

Columbus, Indiana is a lonngggg way from South Bend.

DieselJim
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Drove past the "Engineering" buildeng today. It is a pile of rubble on the ground. It's a little depressing to drive by now. To think that not long ago we were all over that building moveing parts. Jim

Deaf Mute
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey Bob, Did you see any more of those leaking paint pails that held Stude block paint the last time you were there? I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle! Thanks again.

BobPalma
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Hey Bob, Did you see any more of those leaking paint pails that held Stude block paint the last time you were there? I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle! Thanks again.

Nope, Duane; I did not. Actually, I did not get far enough east on the foundry floor to see where that skid of pails of paint had been deteriorating.

As I recall, and I do remember it vividly, those 5-gallon pails weren't necessarily block paint. I distinctly remember seeing a Rinshed-Mason pail identified as Horizon Green. That would make sense, since Horizon Green was a color available during the last months of production in South Bend.

They might have been too lazy (or any one of a dozen possibilities) to send a skid of assorted colors to Hamilton to build out the 1964 model year. BP

Chris_Dresbach
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle!

:) Well that's good to hear!!

StudeMichael
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
This is like watching my mother get mugged.

Scott
06-16-2011, 09:08 PM
I thought I read somewhere a few years ago that the guard shack - or one of them, anyway - was to be dismantled brick by brick and moved to a new location. Was I dreaming?

DieselJim
06-16-2011, 09:18 PM
The city took the guard shack and iron fence that was on the west side of the engineer building apart to be used in Igniton Park. Time will tell. Jim

acandilas
06-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Here is link to a few photo of what's left of the building 92 (Engineering)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=studebaker+engineering&m=tags

Radsman
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
During the years the engineering bldg was used, who would have occupied the wood paneled room at the top of the stairs from the entrance on Sample St; Loewy, et al?

Bordeaux Daytona
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
During the years the engineering bldg was used, who would have occupied the wood paneled room at the top of the stairs from the entrance on Sample St; Loewy, et al?

Good question, I would love to know too.

StudeMichael
06-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Loewy's office was in the Admin Building

BobPalma
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
OK, I ran across a document today that will clear up / verify the Foundry's usage after Studebaker closed.

The following is from a personal letter to me and cousin George Krem on Studebaker letterhead dated November 27, 1964, signed by Roy B. Bender, SASCO President at the time. Here's an exact quote of the appropriate paragraph; no editing. (We had written him to protest using "Chevy" engines in 1965 Studebakers.):

So that you will know, the old Studebaker Foundry was purchased by Cummins Diesel and has already been converted to producing diesel engine castings. The automated engine tools were sold to Chrysler Corporation and they have already been removed.

So that explains the Cummins connection/usage, and how it may have been misinterpreted that Chrysler owned or used the Foundry after Studebaker's demise, since there was Chrysler involvement of some type. BP

Chris_Dresbach
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Good question, I would love to know too.

I know. That room was a meeting room for engineering and materials vendors. It was essentially a board room. To the left of that room was where the department heads had their offices, like E.T. Reynolds.

Radsman
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info Chris.

Welcome
07-03-2011, 06:50 PM
ONE MONTH LATER…
(July 3, 2011)
Scenes from around the Studebaker Foundry:

The New …the Dying …and the Deadhttp://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/CityofSouthBend.jpg
South Bend’s newest street complete with the newest design in street lighting and newly planted trees…http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/southbendsnewest.jpg
…right up next to South Bend’s oldest (Studebaker) Foundry!http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/southbendsnewest2.jpg
Just down the street from the Foundry a Champ caught between Sin… http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/anotherview.jpg
…and Salvation http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/SightsaroundtheFoundry.jpg

Corvanti
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
wonder how much they want for that champ? (for sale sign in the window). neat little trailer...

Welcome
07-03-2011, 11:32 PM
wonder how much they want for that champ? (for sale sign in the window). neat little trailer...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/windowsticker.jpg

studegary
07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I also note the appropriate funeral home sign/ad at the edge of the property (on the bench).

Chris_Dresbach
07-04-2011, 04:31 PM
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/windowsticker.jpg

Dang Jim, now I have to go find that truck!!! :p

Welcome
07-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Dang Jim, now I have to go find that truck!!! :p

No mystery Chris ...just look at the 2000 block of Prairie Ave..........

Chris_Dresbach
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
No mystery Chris ...just look at the 2000 block of Prairie Ave..........

I thought the buildings looked like the ones on Prairie. I'm going now.