PDA

View Full Version : You never know how much you have, until you move..

mbstude
06-02-2011, 04:00 PM
As I think I've mentioned, I'm moving to Fayetteville, GA which is a suburb on the south side of Atlanta. About 180 miles north of where I am now. I took a break from polishing and spent the afternoon loading up JUST my stainless trim inventory for the first leg of the move this weekend. I knew I had a lot of stainless, but didn't think I'd have to make one haul for JUST the trim..! :rolleyes:

The worst part is that it'll take a full day just to sort and organize it once I get there.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/trimhaul001.jpg

PackardV8
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
You never know how much you have, until you move..

Matthew, yes, that's really a lot of trim. However, trim is light and relatively small. Most of we old CASOs are forever rooted where we are by all the arn we've gathered over the years. Moving all the cars, parts and tools isn't even within the realm of possibility. It's not worth enough to pay a commercial mover's rates, but way, way-far beyond the abilities of any individual.

jack vines

BobGlasscock
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Boy, Matthew, I sure do hope you don't pass by any Stude owners. Something from that open pickup bed might disappear.

You're gonna sort it????? Like in being organized? Why? That'll ruin all the fun of looking for that one piece you need.

raprice
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Matt, Have a safe and easy move. I know that's easier said than done, but it's never-the-less sincere.
Rog

bob40
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I have about that much I was hoping to sell to you ;)

ceecab
06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I moved 8 months ago, so I know the feeling well

I had my 55 coupe to drive over-- a 54 coupe body to tow over after my son in law and I took the body off its original but rotten frame and put it on a reasonably nice GT frame
then it was two truck loads of 54 body parts with extras and another truck load of small parts for assorted C-Ks
then my Hyundai full of more parts, some of which are still in the trunk
And a rather impressive sized pile that I just junked

the 55 is still loaded with garage stuff
one cellar room is full of small parts--another is full of 54 coupe body parts
the titleless 54 and the 55 share the garage at least until I can figure out if I even have enough energy, money and life left to finish the 54 at all

jclary
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
At least you are young. When I was your age, I moved several times. At that time, I owned a 53 Chevy hot rod pick up and a '63 Falcon Sprint. My old military duffel bags could hold just about all my other worldly possessions.

However, after this old veteran got married, finished college, had a kid, bought his first Studebaker, and built a house...the accumulating began.

When I go, they are going to have to develop a whole new landfill to get rid of all this junk!:p

Good luck with your move!:):cool::)

Mark57
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, this is exactly why I told my wife the next time she feels the need to move she can leave me behind planted in the flower bed! (or maybe just left in my pickup bed) :rolleyes::)

I hate even the thought of moving.:eek:

PS: Hope it all works out for you. :)

rockne10
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I, too, remember when everything fit in to one foot locker. Next move, everything fit in to one '63 Dodge Coronet.
All my "stuff" is now planted here, until I get planted there.

Lark8girl
06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
My way of living is to move every ten years, After a couple moves, you have the cure of materialism and collectiing so much stuff.
I have never owned "parts" it's a lot more fun to hunt and meet people while looking for whatever I need.
I just saw a family disopose of over 100 cars "Left " to them, your old "stuff" should not become someone else's burden or responsibility.
Many people hoard car parts and never do much with them or sell to those in need. If you have a lot of parts, make them availble to those in need of them, You will make new friends.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Bob Bryant
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
In 1962 my wife and I were making a move to NW Indiana from Fort Wayne for a job opportunity. We didn't have much "stuff" or money and it would have been tough to rent a truck. Two family members came from Merrillville and we loaded our possessions and headed across the state on US 30 on a sunny Sunday. There was a VW Type 2 single cab Transporter, a Rambler station wagon w/roof rack, and our '60 VW Beetle with a mattress lashed to the roof which was bigger than the car. Our earthly belongings were stashed everywhere and probably not very well. We sort of resembled a procession from "The Leaves of Grass" as we headed NW except Henry Fonda was not present. About half way there it started to rain. We wheeled in to a gas station out in the country and since it was Sunday and slow with nothing happening the operator let us park in the service bays until it quit raining. The move was completed successfully and we were thankful.

Bob Andrews
06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I recently had a very good offer for my place. House is 7 yrs. old, 10 acres, 30x44 garage, 30x30 barn- and grandfathered junkyard license. The money was good enough that I thought I might sell it and build a new, top-notch man cave on some other property I own. I have cooled on the idea, though, but not because the move would be hard; PODs would simplify that. The sticking point is not enough space on the other property for all my parts cars- at least not out of sight like here. That, and this is where I grew up; bought it after Dad died and Mom sold out. It's sought after because of that license, which they are not allowing anymore around here. Hard to decide whether to cash out and crush a bunch of stuff, or keep it and have everything like I want it.

Right now I'm leaning toward staying. I suppose showing me (or my lawyer) the money might nudge me the other way.

So I agree with the others, the older you get, the more complicated a move can be. Have fun with your new adventure!

Lenny R2
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Matthew
Let me know when your moved in i will drive down

Warren Webb
06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I moved into this place 2&1/2 years ago & still dont have it all here! Although most of my stuff is here now, I still have some of the bigger things at the old place & no garage here! Yuck!! I'll never move again! Matt, I hope you had a tarp over those mouldings- I'd be so afraid of them blowing out.

studegary
06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
After you get older and have lived in one place longer, then talk to me about moving.
We moved from our last home after living there for 27 years. The previous house had a full basement and four car garage (all full). We moved into a house with no basement and a two car garage.

sals54
06-03-2011, 02:37 AM
I can dig what you guys are saying. 10 years ago I moved from my track house. Just a 2 car garage and a side yard. Oh my gosh, what a ton of junk I had to move. I swore I would never gather so much junk again. What a great day it was when I moved to the country and suddenly had 2 acres and a 2400 sq ft barn. Now the mere contemplation of moving is staggering. Wall to wall stuff. WOW. Good luck, Matt.

avantilover
06-03-2011, 02:55 AM
The thought occured that if you had sorted it before loading it you'd have no issue once in the new place.

Perhaps The Stude Club folks will come around to help.
Best of luck with the new home.

DEEPNHOCK
06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Matthew...ya pup....;)
Try moving cross country three or four times...with all your house stuff, your shop stuff, your farm stuff, and your family.
First time was easy... ten pickup loads and 5 miles.
Second time was a bit harder. 25 miles...20 pickup truck loads, and two loads with a borrowed straight job truck.
Third time was harder. 1200 miles.
Yeah, the company paid the movers ($15k in 1990), but they added it to my W2 at the end of the year and I was taxed at the gift rate of 42%....(ugh).
Still took three personal trips besides the moving van.
Fourth move...by ourselves (using PODS)...and made 6 trips with my trailer moving farm and car stuff.
Let me know if you need a load hauled on a trailer... I feel your pain.
Moving can be a pita, or an adventure, or a profitable moneymaking venture, or a disaster.
Let's hope yours is a profitable adventure!
Jeff:cool:

clonelark
06-03-2011, 07:13 AM
After about my forth move i decided NEVER again. Bought my 2nd house in 1977, still here and will be till i die. At least when i die , I wont be the one moving my stuff. Did i mention i hate moving.

mbstude
06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks fellas. :cool:

I'm lucky in that I don't have that much stuff to move, having been "on my own" for only about a year and a half. Barely any furniture to speak of or any other household items, just lots of trim and tools for the stainless biz. And don't worry, after the photos I threw in about 100 more pieces of stainless and strapped it all down; nothing is going anywhere. And every piece was organized before packing it up, but it'll take less time to re-sort it (and pull out the junk pieces for scrap) that it would've been to organize it someway in the back of the truck.

This'll be a good move for all involved. Monthly expenses will drop a bit which means more $$ for Studebaker gatherings, an air conditioned stainless shop, and more importantly I absolutely love the area I'll be in. Anyways, I'm off now to Douglasville to see Mr. Forrester's chrome shop and drop off a thing or two, then onto Fayetteville. Thanks again for the kind words. :cool:

Bill Pressler
06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Good luck, Matthew! From '83-85, when I was in my mid-twenties, I lived in Norcross, GA, on the NE side of Atlanta. At the time, that's the direction the growth of suburban Atlanta was heading, and Norcross was about as far as it got (there will still parts of town that looked small and old-timey). People have said I wouldn't even recognize it now. The new mall when I left there was called Gwinett Place, and I guess it's practically just a flea market there now!

As a young guy, I loved the excitement of the city. Now, I'd be grumpy in or near a big city!

Take care, good luck, and enjoy your new surroundings!

studegary
06-03-2011, 01:02 PM
After about my forth move i decided NEVER again. Bought my 2nd house in 1977, still here and will be till i die. At least when i die , I wont be the one moving my stuff. Did i mention i hate moving.

I went through this with my sister's house (not too bad) and my father's house (terrible). My parents/father lived in the same house for 65 years and only moved from the other side of Fishkill then. They were real Depression Era savers. I used; Salvation Army, auction company, Village clean up day, Village yard sale day, give aways, trash, moved more than 50 box lots to my home, etc. before the house was saleable. I spent one year of four or five day weeks working at that house. Cathy started with me, but she gave up after awhile.

ddub
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
It's a real problem, knowing when to get rid of the junk. I fear that by the time I know I really don't need it anymore, I'll be too feeble to get rid of it. When we sold my inlaw's house, part of the deal was the new owners cleaned it out. We took the few items we wanted and left the rest.

4961Studebaker
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Moving is a true pain. The accumulation does grow, I remember being Matts age and everything fit in the bed of a small Toyota PU.

You truely find out who your friends are when it comes to moving time.
Unless your truely set on doing it your self...Some friends will inevitably assure you move by yourself.:confused: :mad:

Moved the Brother n law.....said he didn't have that much stuff....."scoup and dump".... into boxes was his quote.
Barely fit in a semi trailer. ;)

Same Brother n law was on a cruise when I moved, still rib him about it time to time.
That's ok, pay back was he mixed concrete by hand when it came time to build a fence at my new house. :eek: Nope didnt rent a mixer. :cool:

Matt each move as you age will unearth a memory from a prior move and the life experiences inbetween, because most assuredly they were tucked away in a safe place and were not in everyday use. Then again, for me...those tucked away boxes come with head scratching.........Why did I keep this? And so the curbside trash grows :) lightening the load for the next move. :p

bob40
06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm eyeballing a farmstead south of town.I dont get too excited about houses,landscaping or decorating.It does have a 60x120 machinery shed and thats the interesting part.Figure I can fill it in 3 years or less.The "small" tractor shed is just 40x80 so thats the workshop.

kurtruk
06-04-2011, 12:09 AM
In reality, our hobby needs all the folks that stash stuff away. As long as they part with it sometime!

As far as the moving part goes...yeah, thats when you find out what people are really like. All their stuff is being messed with. People tend to get uptight at times like that...or not.

Although I've helped lots of people move, I've always appreciated this bumper sticker:
"Yeah, this is my pickup. No, I won't help you move."

studegary
06-04-2011, 02:10 PM
In reality, our hobby needs all the folks that stash stuff away. As long as they part with it sometime!

"

When I last moved, I sold all of my NOS and used Studebaker parts (full size truck and trailer of parts) to a vendor for about ten cents on the dollar. I couldn't find anyone to come and take away my NOS and used Mopar parts.

As most of you know, I have sold many items to people on the Forum. I do not vend, advertise or sell on eBay, but if I find someone that needs something that I have, I will offer it.

The last one (quite recent) I can not understand. Someone advertised on the SDC Forum that they wanted two particular very old TWs. I offered as new copies for $1 plus $2 S&H each. Shipping is really $2.28 postage plus about ten cents for the large envelope. That means that I would be getting 62 cents for the TW and driving miles to the Post Office and waiting in line. I felt like I was doing a favor and actually losing money, but I never heard back from the guy. Perhaps he got the two issues that he was searching for, but an e-mail or mention on the Forum would have been polite at no cost to him.