259 engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 engine question

Smoke color is blueish and has a very strong petroleum smell.

Thanks,
    quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

The first question that needs to be asked....

What color smoke?

Several different colors...several different reasons.

Mike

259 engine question

I have a question regarding a 259 I have. When this motor sits for awhile, and then started, there is quite a lot of smoke that comes out of the exhaust. However, after running for about five minutes, things clear up and it runs great, as always. My question is, what could be the cause, and, what is the cure.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

The first question that needs to be asked....

What color smoke?

Several different colors...several different reasons.

Mike

Comment

Most likely it's worn valve stem seals, especially on the intake valves. With age and use, the soft rubber becomes hard as a rock. I used the teflon Chevy 350 seals that pop over the top of the guide. Back in the good old days there were "umbrella" seals that were exactly that and stuck on the valve stem itself. If they try to sell you those, don't buy them.

Comment

Sounds like valve seals. When you shut the engine off, the oil drains down the guides and has to be burned off.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Agreed, stem seals.

By the way...nothing at all wrong with the rubber umbrella seals!! Been used in millions of engines over LOTS'A years.
            NOTHING lasts for ever.

Along with the nothing lasts for ever thought, if the engine's got a lot of miles on it, the actual stem to guide clearance is most likely on the loose side also. So seals...any type of seal is only plugging the proverbial dyke...for now.

Mike

Comment

Those teflon seals may be an improvement - I can't say for sure. But I agree with Mike here, the umbrella seals will last a good long time.
              BTW, the teflon seals don't work right outta the package. The guide tops have to be turned down a bit. I have a cutter tool that does this with the guides in place. It chucks into an adequate drill press and cuts only as far down as is required. But it's NOT something you can do ON the engine - unless you don't mind the thought of having lots of steel shavings floating around inside your motor![xx(]
              I'd lend this thing to anyone who wanted to use it so long as you pay postage both ways and advance a refundable deposit.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hmmm, I've used both the all rubber and rubber with teflon insert seals on Chrysler and Stude engines without cutting the guides. Both kind had the wire "C" spring around the base which gripped the guide firmly. The Chrysler job was larger in diameter than the Chevy-Stude one, but both types have stayed in place for a long time. Maybe I'm just lucky....

Comment

I rather use the modern seals on a keeper or a rebuild. yes, the factory seals will work, but not much over 40,000 miles or so. They'll get hard as a rock and break up in little pieces.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland