PDA

View Full Version : Black Avanti Convertible - TX

StudeMichael
06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
This looks like a great deal if the car is decent:

http://www.easyautosales.com/used-cars/1987-32881810.html

64V-K7
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
That car has been on the block since 2007 in various locations. It has a few apologies...

BobGlasscock
06-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I saw this car a couple of years ago driving down a FM road and pulled him over to visit. It wasn't a beautiful car by any means, but a very road worthy one. From the pics, I'd say that maybe it's been painted since, or had a very good finish re-do. I can't swear that it has been re-upholstered, it was red when I saw it. The name on the current registration is not the man I visited with. The car dealership was the previous owner, actually it was a relative (an uncle, I think) of the brothers who own the dealership. It may have belonged to the brothers father many years ago. But the current owner is someone else. The brothers are excellent men, I have known one of them for about 40 years.

If anyone is seriously interested, I'll take my inexperienced self down the street and look at it for you. I am not an Avanti dude.

Jackson
06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Last Dec. I made a trip from Memphis to Lubbock with an empty trailer to finalize purchase of this "low mileage" Avanti. It took about 10 min to determine that the car was not what it appeared to be. I returned to Menphis with an empty trailer. No regrets.

BobGlasscock
06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
wow, Jackson's post made me go look at the ad again to see if it stated the mileage. Wonder what part has only 20K on it? More than likely, 120K or 20K after some stage of work done.

BobGlasscock
06-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, I had nothing to do for a while today, so went to the dealership to see the car. It wasn't there. "Hello world, I want to sell a car at a dealership but it won't be there." The owner is "out of the country for a couple of weeks", and it is unavailable for viewing. So there.

I asked about the history of owners, and the man I spoke with a few years ago was the father of the brothers and the founder of the dealership. Not an uncle as my memory said. He died over a year ago, so I'm guessing the sons sold the car to the present owner. The man at the dealership did not know of any work on the car since James Mears owned it.

So, you can buy a car you can't see. And it is probably in close condition to what I saw, which ain't $13K worth.

JBOYLE
06-03-2011, 05:46 PM
If it's half decent (operationally and beauty-wise) it seems $13K isn't too bad a deal.
I see similar convertibles in the Avanti club magazine all the time for a lot more (or worse yet, no price is listed).

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the "Oh so 80s!" (too much Miami Vice and Molly Ringwald) body kit, especially side skirts.
Wonder if you could shave those off? Or better yet, put on metal bumpers?
Also, the newer dash (and wheel) looks very kit-car to me.

plwindish
06-03-2011, 08:20 PM
That could be a stunning car, but plan on spending around $20 K to do engine, trans and paint. Who knows what other work will be needed like brakes, suspension, and other misc. items? Just looking at the pix, to use a good ole boy Texan term, She's been rode hard and put away wet. If that car has only 20,295 miles, I'll eat my hat. Does anyone know if the '87's had the 5 or 6 digit odometer? I'm betting the odometer is on its 2nd time around. With that kind of mileage, it definitely needs to be freshened up under the hood and trans. Brakes and suspension are also likely needed. From the pix, the paint needs work.

BobGlasscock
06-03-2011, 09:25 PM
In my opinion, there is no way that odometer hasn't turned over once. I knew the 2nd ago previous owner and he drove it a lot, and drove it for long trips.
When I stood next to it 2 or 3 years ago, the paint was definitely deteriorated. The pic looks better than it did that day, but I wouldn't bet on a new paint having been done until I saw it in person. Same with upholstery.

Really makes me wonder that it isn't available to look at.

plwindish
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Bob,
If one of the owners drove it a lot and on long trips, 20K on an '87 in Texas (where driving to the next town might be a distance) doesn't add up to me. I live in the Chicago south suburbs, commute 68 miles round trip to work teaching and have put 112,000 on my car since getting it in August '06. Miles go on very quickly, so seeing a 24 year old car with 20K mileage means less than a 1000 miles a year driving, unless the car was stored for a number of years. That's why I wondered if the odometer was 5 or 6 digits. The car I use is a '03 6 cyl Accord that I bought as a Certified Used Honda with 33 K in August '06. It now has 145 K and looks like a low mileage car. The '76 Avanti I bought in January had 60K on it. The previous owner bought it in Oct '84 with 54K. The guy gave me all his receipts for work done from '84 to '11 and it was documented he only put 6 K on the car in 26 years. That '87 could have been stored, but anyone interested in it should get a good handle on its history and see it in person before committing to it.