OD kickdown switch wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: OD kickdown switch wiring help

anybody know of a underhood, close-up photo showing the connections to a 58' - 63' OD switch (2-red, 2 black wires). 3-wire governor.....wiring diagram is a bit confusing...

There are two different kickdown switches used in those years and the terminals are different. Does yours have the fuse mounted on the switch?
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The kickdown switch, actually contains two 'switches' one is normally closed, I think that's the one away from the activation pin. You can check this with a test light, the other one, the two terminals back from the end, is normally open. when you push the pin, they reverse. The normally closed one interrupts the current to the coil/distributor. The other one is powered, and when closed energizes the solenoid. No, I don't know which terminal. I'ts been a while but I think black is the coil/distributor wire and red power for the solenoid.

In any case, red goes to red, black to black. Unplug all of them and check the switch action before continuing.

Comment

yes..fuse on switch

Comment

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

where the wires go

looking at Dwain's posted picture, with the plunger pointing toward you, the wiring hooks up on my '63 Lark as follows:

black to # 6 on solenoid - ////////// - red hot lead
            ---------- left side ----- ////////// --- right or fuseside ---
            red to # 8 on solenoid - ////////// - black to dist./ coil
            ..................................../ /.....................................
            ----------------------- plunger -------------------------

HTH, Bish
            Last edited by Bish; 06-04-2011, 04:46 AM. Reason: clarify diagram
            sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
            1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
            1959 4E2 4spd, TT
            1963 8E28 GSA order
            1963 8E5 SOLD!
            1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Thanks to all for their help.....I went out this AM, and hooked up the wires as Bish described above...perfect OD..thanks

Comment

Working...
              X