Studebaker Wagon Era Item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Wagon Era Item?

I was visiting a friend in the past few days and he presented me the item you see in the attached photos. Since it was a "Studebaker" item, he thought I might appreciate it being a bit of a "Stude Nut". He had found the item in his Dad's effects after he had passed away. As far as my friend knows, no one in his family had owned a Studebaker, so he was mystified as to its origin. He thought it was a belt buckle.

Having shown it to some other Stude folk at this past weekend's NW Overdrive, we believe it is a piece of horse tack perhaps from Studebaker's Wagon era. It appears to be solid brass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1733483Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1733484

If anyone out there can provide a more accurate description of the item and when it may have been made/in use. It would be appreciated.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

You are correct re your speculation. These were reproduced maybe 15 years ago and sold as belt buckles though your appears to be an original. They do show up from time to time on Ebay.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Richard. Any idea when they were originally made (what years)?

I'm certainly no expert, but the wear on this item certainly looks to be more that 15 - 20 years since it probably spent most if not all of that time in a drawer.
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

[QUOTE Any idea when they were originally made (what years)? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]I'm certainly no expert, but the wear on this item certainly looks to be more that 15 - 20 years [/QUOTE]

STUDEBAKER quit making harness by the early 1920's but I am sure that the brasses were around longer as harness had to be repaired, just like spare parts are for our Studebakers. Consider it NOS. When I had horses I used to buy brass for the harness but it was all reproduction. My daughter still has them bells and all.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

BuckBoard tailgate latch. ?? (G) More than likely a rains or harness's fastener.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
            Thanks Richard. Any idea when they were originally made (what years)?

I'm certainly no expert, but the wear on this item certainly looks to be more that 15 - 20 years since it probably spent most if not all of that time in a drawer.
            In my original response I stated that yours appears to be an original. As for when they were made my guess 1900-1920.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Very early part! It could be an EARLY NOS piece that was bought as a replacement on a harness for a wagon, but never used?? Just a guess. I have one, but's a repop.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                In my original response I stated that yours appears to be an original. As for when they were made my guess 1900-1920.
                Thanks Richard - that was the info I was seeking.
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                  [QUOTE Any idea when they were originally made (what years)? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm certainly no expert, but the wear on this item certainly looks to be more that 15 - 20 years
                  STUDEBAKER quit making harness by the early 1920's but I am sure that the brasses were around longer as harness had to be repaired, just like spare parts are for our Studebakers. Consider it NOS. When I had horses I used to buy brass for the harness but it was all reproduction. My daughter still has them bells and all.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

[SIZE=3][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=darkgreen]
                  Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                  Thanks Richard - that was the info I was seeking.
                  Actually, Studebaker made harness much longer than that.

The particular piece you have is a buckle used on the upper part of the harness and is a type of 'keeper' or device to hold pieces in place and in adjustment. It's work or tradesman's harness. The fancy type that would have been used in town. Even tradesmen wanted to turn out their delivery wagons in the smartest and most impressive manner. One was judged in those days by the horse, equipment (such as harness), and vehicle being driven. Thus these fancy 'brasses' as they were called. Since Studebaker made harness sets, these brasses would have been included complementarily as they identified the maker. there were any number of styles of brasses and manner of use for them. Some were purely decorative, and those are most commonly reproduced today. The piece you have is a practical part of the harness and may have been made from 1860 to 1920. Judging by the lack of wear, it was either a shelf item or used very little and therefore likely from the later end of the period.
                  Last edited by studeclunker; 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM. Reason: grumble... grumble... grumble... TINY FONTS!!!
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There's a similar harness brass offered on Ebay right now for $150. Of course, Buy-It-Now prices often don't reflect true values.

Manuel J. Martinez
                    Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Your brass is a tug or trace carrier off a Studebaker horse harness. There would have been 2 of these on each harness.

Comment

The value of these pieces is always fun to inject into any business analysis that mentions "buggy whip makers." They did very well, thank you.

I can just hear the Antiques Roadshow assessor now: "You have here...a national treasure. Thank you for bringing it in."

Comment

Working...
                        X