Great piece of Studebaker history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great piece of Studebaker history

I'm sorry I couldn't get the pic to embed. Please take a second and check it out. This piece of art is created from Studebaker leaf springs and I felt that I needed to share this with the people it would resonate with the most. The story I received from the artist is that it isn't from a car, but a stagecoach! In 1861 when Lincoln was elected President his favorite wagon was a Studebaker so he ordered 300 for the us calvary and 3 for the office of the U.S. Presidency that night that he was assassinated at Ford's theater he was taken by a Studebaker stage coach.
    Attached Files

Welcome ...to the SDC Forum!!!
    ...and thanks for sharing your find. Yes, there is still a lot of "Studebaker history" out there waiting to be discovered or rediscovered by generations to come.

Comment

The carriage Lincoln used is in the Studebaker Museum, but it wasn't built by Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
        The carriage Lincoln used is in the Studebaker Museum, but it wasn't built by Studebaker.

http://www.brhoward.com/lincoln_carriage.html
        That's true, and believe it or not, not all of the presidental carriages in the museum collection are actually Studebakers. I can't remember exaclty which ones though. I think president Grant's might be one of them. Still incredible pieces of history. The museum recently had the carriages reconditioned (not restored) to what they looked like when new. I never knew it, but Lincoln's carriage has writing on the doors.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Thank you for correcting my information I will relate this to the artist so we dont continue passing along miss information. He may have had someone tell him what he was buying was different than it was is there any way to confirm that these are Studebaker leaf springs? T.I.A.

Comment

Working...
          X