Fuel Injected Avanti Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Fuel Injected Avanti Part Deux

A while back we had a forum discussion on adding Commercial fuel injection to engines starting with my SBC.

The main sticking point with adding it to a Stude V8 was the lack of an electrically controlled distributor to let the computer control timing.

Well, thanks to Avanti magazine (Issue 154, Spring/Summer 2011) and Author Joe Rink, there is a great article on adding a GM truck TBI system to a 63 Avanti R1 including modifying the stock GM HEI dissy to fit the Studebaker engine.

It should also work on an R2 but you would need an ECU, like Holley or FAST etc, to control the Supercharger engine.

A great solution to this problem, and thanks to Joe Rink who is listed as an SDC member also.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM. Reason: changed TPI to TBI

Bob,
    I haven't seen the article, but I have seen Joe's car. The installation is very clean. He tells me that drive-ability is pure joy! Here are a few pictures that I took last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry & Kay's 6-27-10 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1668160Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry & Kay's 6-27-10 005.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1668159Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry & Kay's 6-27-10 007.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1668158Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry & Kay's 6-27-10 008.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1668161
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
      Bob,
      I haven't seen the article, but I have seen Joe's car. The installation is very clean. He tells me that drive-ability is pure joy! Here are a few pictures that I took last year.
      Carey

Thanks for posting the pictures, beautiful car. I'd think it was mine, including wheels, if not for the round headlights.

Nice clean install.

Bob

Comment

Wow, thanks for posting! Where can a person get a copy of that issue?

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
          Wow, thanks for posting! Where can a person get a copy of that issue?

Pat
          Here's the website for the AOAI and magazine. You may want to contact them to see if you can buy an issue. I know I can't post the article but if you can't find one, I'll send you a copy of the article. Issue 154, Spring/Summer 2011. The latest issue, it just arrived yesterday.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, I sent an email to their back issues mailbox. If that does not work I will be in touch to get a copy. This will be a great help for the 289 I have planned for my Conestoga.

Pat
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
              Thanks Bob, I sent an email to their back issues mailbox. If that does not work I will be in touch to get a copy. This will be a great help for the 289 I have planned for my Conestoga.

Pat
              Pat

Good show. Just a thought or two on the system. I'm running one of each type, GM TPI with all GM components on the 54K and a Holley HP EFI on the 83 Avanti. If you choose the GM system, you will need to get a chip burned to eliminate the VAT and EGR components from the computer. You will also need to chose a performance profile to also burn to the chip. The good news is that there are a ton of good profiles available and the chip can be removed and replaced in the ECM. It works quite well on the 54K.

The advantage of the newer Holley/Fast systems is they are self learning and have a Wide Band O2 sensor so the ECM can control based on Air/Fuel ratio which the older system can't, so performance and mileage should be better. The bad news is the Holley/Fast types will cost 2-3X the GM setup.

Keep us informed.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the insight Bob. I did get a reply from Mike Barany at the Avanti magazine. He is sending me the article. What a great community we have!

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                X