I need to replace drag link on my 65 Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to replace drag link on my 65 Wagonaire

Does anyone know where I can locate a drag link for my 65 wagon. The car has too much play in steering and I was told the drag link bushing is worn out. Thanks, Tim cell 918-951-0708

Drag link = steering reach rod? A very common source of slop in Studebaker steering is the center pivot assembly, located smack in the middle of the front crossmember. Sometimes the fix is nothing more than tightening the pinch bolt that clamps the bell crank to the center pivot shaft.

Get the car up on stands, safely supported, and have a helper move the steering wheel to and fro through the region of play, while you get under and look for the lost motion. You can also grab the rods ends, and feel for relative motion between the ball stud and the socket. This will enable you to zero in on the area(s) causing the slack.

Let us know what you find. Parts are available to repair almost any part of the steering system.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Does the reach rod even have bushings? I'm not familiar with the '65's. As Gord indicated, wear in the steering is usually in the steering bellcrank. This does have bushings or bearings. Getting it up in the air and even moving it back and forth an inch or so will display the play.
      If it is in the bellcrank, and tightening the pinch bolt to 60-65 ft lbs doesn't help, a rebuild kit is available or you can get a rebuilt one with your core.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Auto, or standard????
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Working...