No announcement yet.

Brake Light Switch (Universal?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Brake Light Switch (Universal?)

Is the brake light switch (off the master cylinder) something that can be replaced with a generic NAPA unit, or does it have to be specific to the car?

Anyone have a universal part number or an interchangeable model?

1959 Silver Hawk.

Thanks,
    Shaun

It is pretty much a universal item available at all auto parts stores. The Borg Warner number for the two bullet type is S-194, I get mine at O'Reillys
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

thank you sir!

Comment

I replaced the brake light switch on my '47 Champion today with one from NAPA ---- line UNI, part number SL143. This fits all 1947 to 1949 Studebakers, and may be the same one you need. It also fits Volkswagen Bugs from approximately the late 1960s.

This switch has flat blade terminals. If your car has round terminals, they will need to be changed.
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

The NAPA part number is SL134 and the Standard Motor Parts number is SLS27. The switch is the same for most cars that use hydraulic pressure to actuate the switch. Bud

Comment

41 frank's suggestion worked perfectly.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
              I replaced the brake light switch on my '47 Champion today with one from NAPA ---- line UNI, part number SL143. This fits all 1947 to 1949 Studebakers, and may be the same one you need. It also fits Volkswagen Bugs from approximately the late 1960s.

This switch has flat blade terminals. If your car has round terminals, they will need to be changed.
              Next time buy the correct switch, the SL134 no need to modify things when correct original replacements are available for the same $ or less.

Fits every Ford & Chrysler Product ever built between 1947 and at least mid 1960's and MORE!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-30-2011, 08:06 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just found out the brake light switch in my Hawk is not working today. I have a question why did my switch quit working after I installed new switch seven years ago?? The brake fluid damaged it??

StudeRich, Is the switch #SL134 will fit my '57 Hawk?

Thanks, Steven

1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk w/289 & auto
                1967 Corvair Monza Coupe w/110hp, auto & factory air
                1969 Corvair Monza Coupe w/140hp, 4spds & smog air

Comment

Originally posted by 57 Silver Hawk View Post
                  I just found out the brake light switch in my Hawk is not working today. I have a question why did my switch quit working after I installed new switch seven years ago?? The brake fluid damaged it??

StudeRich, Is the switch #SL134 will fit my '57 Hawk? Thanks, Steven
                  Quote Bud: "The NAPA part number is SL134 and the Standard Motor Parts number is SLS27. The switch is the same for most cars that use hydraulic pressure to actuate the switch. Bud"

Quote 41 Frank: "It is pretty much a universal item available at all auto parts stores. The Borg Warner number for the two bullet type is S-194, I get mine at O'Reillys"

Quote StudeRich: "Next time buy the correct switch, the SL134" Fits every Ford & Chrysler Product ever built between 1947 and at least mid 1960's and MORE!"

If all this is not enough, look for Two ROUND bullet Terminals on the switch.
                  Yes, that should be the one listed for Fords, Studebakers, Chrysler Prods. etc. for all or most of the 1950's and 1960's.

If you are using Silicone Brake Fluid DOT 5, yes it does "Eat" them, but your's lasted about 6 years longer than most.

If you are using DOT 3 Standard Brake Fluid, the moisture that that fluid traps in the system may have finally got to it, 7 years is not too short a time for it to go bad!
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It took less than two years for the NAPA SL134 to go bad in my Avanti. I installed a mechanical brake light switch under the dash and that cured the problem and left the hydraulic switch in place. The next problem was the hydraulic switch started passing enough current to dimly illuminate the tail lights all the time. I use DOT 3 fluid as well and still had the problems.

I very much recommend a mechanical switch in any car one can be adapted to. The switch itself only costs about $8.00 and maybe an hours time to install...and I work slow.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The permanent fix for that, is to find the wire from the Hydraulic switch to the turn signal switch under the dash and cut it, splice on to it and reroute to the new Mechanical switch, also the power feed wire from the fuse, also under the dash. Thereby making the wires to the old Hydraulic switch dead.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For some reason the hyd brake light switches don't seem to last long for me, even with normal DOT4 fluid. Here's how I did the mechanical switch in my '54 sedan:
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l+brake+switch
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Mine lasted 1000 miles and then cacked. At least I'm not the only one.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

brake switch

A lot of these switches come from China and are junk.The mexican ones hold up better.
                            Maybe a Stude vender has an NOS one? I am told that the Harley switches are premium and are much more sensitive...
                            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              It took less than two years for the NAPA SL134 to go bad in my Avanti. I installed a mechanical brake light switch under the dash and that cured the problem and left the hydraulic switch in place. The next problem was the hydraulic switch started passing enough current to dimly illuminate the tail lights all the time. I use DOT 3 fluid as well and still had the problems.
                              I am so glad I read this post, I have EXACTLY the same problem. My brake lights remain on all the time, but very dimly lit. I think I will replace it tomorrow with a new hydraulic switch so I can drive this week. Then I will definitely be putting in the mechanical one. Thanks for describing your problem Gunslinger!!
                              sigpic
                              1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X