PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Rio Grande and a Hawk

Dads Baby
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Peg and I went to the Railroad Museum in Golden CO today. I asked if we could park our car next to one of the engines. Wow! How cool! This bad boy was built in 1955! Talk about massive! :cool:

Welcome
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

IMHO, definitely a "cover-shot" for a future Turning Wheels issue focused on transportation of that period.

PlainBrownR2
05-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Oh looky, a Rio Grande F unit set ;)!!

These guys were usually seen pulling the Rio Grande Zephyr, which operated one of the last intercity passenger trains after Amtrak came into being in 1970(Rio Grande Railroad :p). They ran one of the last privately owned passenger service trains since they could not come to an agreement with Amtrak in 1971. They operated in this manner until 1982 when Western Pacific ceased passenger service. The train was the remnants of the California Zephyr, which was operated by the CB&Q.

Anyway, the F units there were a pretty common engine, whether in front of a passenger or freight train. The interesting part is they are the junior engines, compared to the much bigger six axled E units, which in most cases were on passenger trains.

Dads Baby
05-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Hmmmmm...Turning Wheels...

That is a lot of cool info on our new friend!

Here is another oldie...

PlainBrownR2
05-22-2011, 08:57 PM
That looks like the observation car off of the Super Chief. The car came from another premiere passenger train. The ATSF(Santa Fe) had a Chicago to Los Angeles passenger line that started with the Chief, and then it added on an all Pullman diesel powered passenger train that was named the Super Chief. The humor is the UP's City of Los Angeles, and the Rock Island's Golden State were in direct competition with each other, so the car in front of the observation car was at one time from its possibly bitter rival. They were powered by a variant to the F units, the FT's.

mausersmth
05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
F units are nice, and GM sold a bunch of them, but my favorites are Alco's!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Wiki-PAs.jpg
ALCO became part of Studebaker-Worthington. They're family. . .

showbizkid
05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah... love those PAs and FAs!

PlainBrownR2
05-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Yep, I'm a fan of the T-6's. N&W and Pennsy had whole armadas of them :).

cliffh
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Another Studebaker connection at the Colorado Railroad Museum is that they have 3 Galloping Geese (Gooses?). Motor cars that were built out of Pierce Arrow cars by the Rio Grande Southern Railroad.
Cliff

Dads Baby
05-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Google is great!

http://drgw.free.fr/RGS/Goose/Goose_en.htm

:D

comatus
05-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Bizarre twists of business history: Alco ended up as part of Worthington, and so, in a way only we could appreciate, is kind of Studebaker.
That engine looks just like the one in "Bad Day at Black Rock."