Proving grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving grounds

Does anyone know if on saturday when they let us on the proving grounds will they let you "prove your car" or just put put around. Jay

Jay: From 'past experience', the run is very low key controlled. They don't want anyone getting in over their heads, which I can't blame them for. Also....they are only letting Stude/Packard and related marks onto the track. No brand 'X's.

toyman

Comment

Jay: From 'past experience', the run is very low key controlled. They don't want anyone getting in over their heads, which I can't blame them for. Also....they are only letting Stude/Packard and related marks onto the track. No brand 'X's.

toyman

Comment

The Bosch Proving Ground track oval at 3 miles is the longest track in Indiana, longer than Indianapolis Speedway by half a mile. You could easily be going too fast for the turns on those long straights.

They have a 45 MPH limit posted for tours, it is a tour, not a speed record attempt.

Five years ago we video taped the 1931 #37 Hunt Special at Bosch with it closed to other traffic, on one lap they had to stop because a Deer was on the course and was enjoying standing on the pavement on the East straight. Keep your eyes open out there. Stude8

Comment

The Bosch Proving Ground track oval at 3 miles is the longest track in Indiana, longer than Indianapolis Speedway by half a mile. You could easily be going too fast for the turns on those long straights.

They have a 45 MPH limit posted for tours, it is a tour, not a speed record attempt.

Five years ago we video taped the 1931 #37 Hunt Special at Bosch with it closed to other traffic, on one lap they had to stop because a Deer was on the course and was enjoying standing on the pavement on the East straight. Keep your eyes open out there. Stude8

Comment

I went on the track saturday noonish with at least 100 others (anybody have a count?). Some got off after each lap but I stayed for 4 laps as after that it was over. I did manage to get space to get up to about 50 once on the straits. Someone's hawk broke down and had to get hauled off at one point that held up everyone for a while (sort of like yesterday sitting in stop/go pileup in Chicago behind a jack-knifed truck for nearly 2hrs....). It was fun, those with passengers had folks leaning out their windows for action photos. Hopefully someone that posts here was amoungst them. The weather was a little damp (sprinkles) but not bad.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I went on the track saturday noonish with at least 100 others (anybody have a count?). Some got off after each lap but I stayed for 4 laps as after that it was over. I did manage to get space to get up to about 50 once on the straits. Someone's hawk broke down and had to get hauled off at one point that held up everyone for a while (sort of like yesterday sitting in stop/go pileup in Chicago behind a jack-knifed truck for nearly 2hrs....). It was fun, those with passengers had folks leaning out their windows for action photos. Hopefully someone that posts here was amoungst them. The weather was a little damp (sprinkles) but not bad.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

What a great time we had! Leave it to Molly to shed the LF wheelcover at the top of the banking in turn one[:I]

When we wereushered off there were 3 Studes with issues: The aforementioned Hawk, an Avanti smoking and dropping fluid, and a green 60 Lark 4dr. on the apron with the hood up; anyone know what happened to these cars?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

What a great time we had! Leave it to Molly to shed the LF wheelcover at the top of the banking in turn one[:I]

When we wereushered off there were 3 Studes with issues: The aforementioned Hawk, an Avanti smoking and dropping fluid, and a green 60 Lark 4dr. on the apron with the hood up; anyone know what happened to these cars?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

There was 139 cars at WalMart for the parade out there, and more at the track already, so probably at least 200 or so out there made a few laps. [8D]

Here'a a couple pics.

Bob's little Lark wagon with missing wheel cover, with a few more Lark following.

More pics here.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

There was 139 cars at WalMart for the parade out there, and more at the track already, so probably at least 200 or so out there made a few laps. [8D]

Here'a a couple pics.

Bob's little Lark wagon with missing wheel cover, with a few more Lark following.

More pics here.

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

I went on the track saturday noonish with at least 100 others (anybody have a count?). Some got off after each lap but I stayed for 4 laps as after that it was over.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
                        I drove only one lap around the track. I first did it in 1983, again in 1988, and in 2002. But I would have done more if a few 'Stude-less' attendees were unable to get a ride with someone else. After that, I went to the Club House and got some nice shots of it inside and out. The county parks department have maintained that facility very well, and a good part of the interior is very much intact from Studebaker days.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

I went on the track saturday noonish with at least 100 others (anybody have a count?). Some got off after each lap but I stayed for 4 laps as after that it was over.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
                          I drove only one lap around the track. I first did it in 1983, again in 1988, and in 2002. But I would have done more if a few 'Stude-less' attendees were unable to get a ride with someone else. After that, I went to the Club House and got some nice shots of it inside and out. The county parks department have maintained that facility very well, and a good part of the interior is very much intact from Studebaker days.

Craig

Comment

Craig, you should see about putting those Club House and Foundry pics on a picture site.

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Craig, you should see about putting those Club House and Foundry pics on a picture site.

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Working...
                              X