No announcement yet.

Preproduction 1948 Studebaker R Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preproduction 1948 Studebaker R Series?

Does anyone know of any artists renderings of the "new" R-series truck before it was put into production? I have a 49 2R10 that I want to customize but do it as a prototype or preproduction truck. And it will all remain true Studebaker parts. Anything would be of great assistance.

I do not know of any "artists renderings", but I have seen pictures of the prototype R series as Bob Bourke originally designed it. Pictures of the prototype have been published in various places. I assume that you know that the front fender line continues into the door panel.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here ya go.....

Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I rather like it. Sure wish they had used that bumper
        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Thats the truck I plan to build, but I am going to use the stock bumpers from my 49. Love to see other pictures if there are any, or what book I need to pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by slammdvdub View Post
            I have a 49 2R10 that I want to customize but do it as a prototype or preproduction truck.
            What you will be building is a 1R10. That "pre-production prototype" with the 'Job-rated-Dodge'-like front doors was going to be the '1R' series.

Craig

Comment

Besides the doors, which I like very much, I noticed that there is now hood ornament. Sort of a shaved custom look.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

It also doesn't have the name plate on the side of the hood. I like the look.
                TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

It would be a neat project for sure,

I only know of, and have this exact photo. I'm not sure that any others have surfaced.

Some things to consider before diving in, structual changes in the door post, I'd be curious to know if engineers would have created larger kick panel areas, a larger interior step.....Or kept the production dimensions and having one large door.
                  As you can see the door comes outward to be flush with the fender.

The hood, look close.....the resting point when closed is within the very top grille opening, (draw a horizontal line through the top grille slat opening, this is where the prototype opens and closes. Production models, the hood latch rest's on top of a 1 piece grille panel.
                  On a prototype build I would find this the easiest to modify, the fenders, door and door hinge post will be the most work.

Also note your working with a 2r10 and the photo is the "short bed" 2r5.
                  Good luck. see it through,
                  I'm sure many have dreamed of doing the same thing.....your's truely as well....Few people ever complete "ideas". Stick around the forum we'll push you to completion.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Welcome and nice job on wanting to do a cool custom. I've always liked the 1R. Keep us posted.

I wonder if Richard Quinn or the National Museum Archives would have more photos.

I guess if you got really ambitious, you could sneak into the factory Proving Ground Graveyard outside of South Bend and drag out the original 1R.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      What you will be building is a 1R10. That "pre-production prototype" with the 'Job-rated-Dodge'-like front doors was going to be the '1R' series.

Craig
                      I believe that originally it was planed to be an R series and the revision drove the change to the 2R.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Welcome and nice job on wanting to do a cool custom. I've always liked the 1R. Keep us posted.

I wonder if Richard Quinn or the National Museum Archives would have more photos.

I guess if you got really ambitious, you could sneak into the factory Proving Ground Graveyard outside of South Bend and drag out the original 1R.

Could it be... A model N truck!!!
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well the piller stucture problem is being solved with suicide doors. And I am adding the material to make the new upper body line and blend it in with the doors. Have an extra set so no problem there. That way the inside of the door and all internals remain stock and untouched. The hood thing might be difficult but not too bad.

Comment

I have been putting together a funky "Studebaker Truck" project in my head for the past 10 months???? Gathering parts and trying to visualize what might just fit together??? May have purchased the missing piec to the puzzle this weekend. Will know when I get it home.
                            More to follow........................if you are willing to look outside of the box?
                            PS My new vision for a truck! There is no box!
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Speaking of "funky Studebaker Truck projects" did anyone else catch My Classic Car episode in Boise Idaho???? Flat Black R series rolling infront of the state capitol building as the truck's bed was lowering/tilting? Seems Dennis and the crew are getting more Stude's into the episodes. Maybe our commanding numbers are keeping the ratings high.
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X