Wheel search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel search

I am looking for a set of alloy wheels to put on Christine. I would love to find a set off a later model Crown Vic, 16x7. If anyone is scrounging around a salvage yard and come across any, please let me know. Used ones seem to be unobtainium around here and the price of new ones are ridiculous. Thanks in advance for any leads.
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

This one has a Mercury Grand Marquis cap on it, which may mean, that is what the wheel is from, the question is: is it different than a Ford Crown Vic? And you or the "searcher" would need to know the year model.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A buddy of mine is scrapping cars now while the price is up. Those wheels are worth about $25.00 each for scrap aluminum. I can see what he's got, but the cost of shipping to you may be prohibitive.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Shipping is no problem for Starliner62.............
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Good luck getting those in your wheel wells!!! Unless they have a whole lotta offset, that is. I tried a set of 15x7s on Baby, and they didn't fit with 215/70-15s installed. I ended up with 15x5s instead~

The 15x7s now live on Sweet Pea~

But a new (different) set will soon go on in their place, and the first set is going on Ruby.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

My fault. The wheels were also used on Grand Marquis models from about 1992-1998. Bamajack was correct stating shipping would not be a problem, I work for a shipping company. I tried one of my 16x7 Lincoln wheels on the 58 and it fits nicely. I am running 16x7's on my Lark with no issues. Ter seems to be more offset with these wheels than normal. I know the later Ford/Mercury rims will not fit. (2002-up).
            Thanks again.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

hi jamie, these guys are in raleigh - set of four:

hope this helps.
              kerry
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Has anyone engineered that little center snap-in cap with a Studebaker logo on it? That would finish those rims nicely.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

15 x 6 1/2 with a 4.20 inch backspacing. These type are a perfect fit for any Hawk or c-k type. Frequenty available on e bay for 100. to 250.00 a set. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

There is a set of the Mercury Marquis type on e bay right now for 169.99 +80.00 shipping.
                    Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                    15 x 6 1/2 with a 4.20 inch backspacing. These type are a perfect fit for any Hawk or c-k type. Frequenty available on e bay for 100. to 250.00 a set. jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Kerry,
                      I have called the people in Raleigh and they will not sell out of their warehouses. They have to ship them and they are less than 5 miles from where I work. I have also talked to the local pick-a-part lots here and they have my name on file to call when some come in. The manager of one says he gets very few of the 16 inch rims. Most of them get sold for scrap when 22,24 or bigger inch wheels are put on these cars around here, and there are lots of them.

Jimmijim,

The only rims I found in a set were 15 inch. They have a large center cap on them that would be difficult to adapt to look like something Studebaker. The 16 inch rims have a small center cap that can be easily transformed and the lug nuts are exposed. I think Christine wants to show off her nuts!!!
                      Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                      1955 Commander Sedan
                      1964 Champ
                      1960 Lark

Comment

If you can settle for 15 inch, you are mistaken in thinking that the Lincoln center is not appropriate and an easy change that would not look anything but proper. If you would like to see a photo of the complete assembly mounted on my car shoot me a message at jimmijim8@yahoo.com

Comment

As an aside, I should add that we have a 95 Crown Vic and we had a 99 Lincoln Towncar. The Crown Vic took 15 inch rims and the Towncar took 16 inch rims. The rims would not interchange between the vehicles despite both being full size cars and coming from the same manufacturer. The offset and the rim size were wildly different from each other, so if they were switched in an emergency, the wouldn't work since it was an interference fit. I don't know if this is applicable on the Studebakers, but it's something to consider with Towncar rims.
                          Also be sure to grab rims that are all the same design, because Ford put out half a dozen to a dozen different styles of that rim in limited quantities, and finding an exact replacement is something of a pain in the rear if one of the rims gets busted. I know because we had to replace one on the Lincoln after it lost a fight with a pothole at the wrong speed.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I'm a 23 year Ford veteran. I worked for three dealers during those years. Ford was notorious for changing things mid-year(sounds familiar). What I should have done was take advantage of the cheap deals Ford had on the torque thrust type wheels when they got ready to change them for the umpteenth time. $123.00 per wheel, including lug nuts and center caps. I may just bite the bullet and order a set of repops off of e-bay. At this point, I'll take all of the used ones I can find. They look good on Avantis too!
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

I believe Town car went to 16 inch wheels in 98. The 16 inch wheels are I think too wide for Stude. 15 x 6 1/2 4.20 backspace and 4.5 inch bolt pattern Crown Vic ,Marquis, Town Car 93-97 spot on. jimmijim

Comment

Working...
                              X