Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58 g hawk "parchment white" chip and paint formula doesn't match.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 58 g hawk "parchment white" chip and paint formula doesn't match.

Need to paint my 58 G.H. I know the original color on the car called "Parchment white" was a bright white. The paint chip basicly shows a bright white. (not off white) But the paint mixed by NAPA is off white like a parchment white should be. I want the original white not off white. Any suggestions? The interior is Coded brown and i am having that made by Rene' in Memphis. Interesting is that is more browner then my original also,.
    Also looking for suggestions.....would the off white look better than the pure white seeing that the interior is a browner shade?

Lot of questions.....but need suggestions.....Thanks if you can help.

Don
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

Originally posted by don samborski View Post
    Need to paint my 58 G.H. I know the original color on the car called "Parchment white" was a bright white. The paint chip basicly shows a bright white. (not off white) But the paint mixed by NAPA is off white like a parchment white should be. I want the original white not off white. Any suggestions? The interior is Coded brown and i am having that made by Rene' in Memphis. Interesting is that is more browner then my original also,.
    Also looking for suggestions.....would the off white look better than the pure white seeing that the interior is a browner shade?

Lot of questions.....but need suggestions.....Thanks if you can help.

Don
    To me, Parchment White is not like refrigerator (bright) white. It is a little ivory (off-white) looking.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary Your appsolutely correct. But the problem is the original car and the paint chip are bright white.
      sigpic
      58 Golden Hawk
      DSamborski
      Pillager, MN

Comment

Actually, Studebaker never used the GM type "Bright White", stark White, refrigerator White etc. Even the '64 Astra White was a Gray White, none were close to Pure White.

How your Car got to be that color is anybody's guess. Do you have the Production Order to prove it's true Color?

What "Paint Chip"? Is it from a original Paint Supplier to Studebaker?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-21-2011, 01:25 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Parchment white on our Packard Hawk was not close to bright white. I did paint a 56 Flight Hawk pure white with a drop of blue. Needed sunglasses to look at it!
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hijack!

"I did paint a 56 Flight Hawk pure white witha drop of blue. Needed sunglasses to look at it!"

Pictures please!
            Carey
            Packard Hawk

Comment

I'll look.....they were on my website, but we changed it recently and goodness gracious they're not there any more.
              Might have them saved to a cd somewhere.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I had my '58 Golden Hawk repainted two years ago....it was originally Parchment White with White Gold Metallic fins and roof. My painter, who owns a body shop and is a good friend I trust, was able to have paint mixed to the original colors. Judging from the original paint under the hood, Parchment White was not a bright white, and neither is the new paint.....it matched pretty well. I agree with Gary, who said that Parchment White is a little off-white (ivory) looking.

George
                george krem

Comment

Color chips supplied by the various manufacturers in the years past came with a sheet stating that they may not be the exact (or absolute) match due to variations in production as they are made by batch. In the 60's & 70's while I worked in my fathers body shop we had customers that worked in the Dupont plant in the area. They told us how many times the batches werent made exactly to the formula which explained why we had problems with color match using Dupont paint. This was in the day when most shops relied on factory packaged paint or the jobber supplying a mix to match. Another point why your car may have a brighter white is due to exposure. White has a tendency to "bleach out" as it ages & exposed to the sun. Perhaps a panel not exposed to the elements will reveal a better color match such as behind a door panel where it has been covered, yet painted when the door jamb was done.

Even factory baked color will vary. I have seen listings for colors that will vary by assembly plant or such variences that they may have as many as 4 or 5 different formulas due to variances. Picture a dart board. The center would represent the color standard. The outer ring would represent the limit of what is commercially acceptable. Between that may be drifts in the standard toward the primary colors, yet still withing an acceptable tolerance. Colors on cars made today have so many variances that it has become industry standard to blend into adjoining panels when there is not sufficient room to blend within the repaired panel.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Here is a 58 paint chip showing the two Studebaker whites that year. The Parchment shown looks almost exactly the same as I have seen in an actual 58 Golden Hawk, quite off-white. The 57 Golden Hawk used a whiter white--Arctic? Still not a refrigerator white by any means.
                    Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

and here is a 58 Packard wagon in Parchment and Canyon Copper
                    Last edited by Jim B PEI; 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: 58 Packard

Comment

My 1958 Packard HT had the original paint on it when I bought it. The colors were Parchment White with "White GOld" top. I had a quart of touch-up mixed by a local paint shop that found the formula and it was a perfect match. It is not a bright white, but somewhat off-white. I had some Artic White from a 1957 Packard I owned in the past, and Arctic White is definitely a bit more "white" than Parchment White. If it is any help, here is the formula the PPG paint dealer found for the 1958 Studebaker-Packard "Parchment White" (code is 5820 in my S-P 1958 "Color and Fabric Selections" binder.)

PPG Paint: Acrylic Enamel
                      Delstar DAR8164 "White"
                      Tinting Guide for DAR 8164:

Hope this helps. Good luck with the project.
                      DMR400 351.4
                      DMR487 50.5
                      DMR491 26.4
                      DMR499 691.8
                      DXR495 22.0
                      Robert R. Ebert

Comment

Working...
                      X