PDA

View Full Version : '56 Golden Hawk Auction

plwindish
05-19-2011, 01:21 PM
The episode of "What's My Car Worth" aired yesterday featuring a "56 two tone Golden Hawk, Packard engine with 2 - 4 barrel carbs. The auction house and experts pegged the car's value between 100 - 150 K. Bidding stopped @ 80 K. Have some Stude's started to gain some financial respect? The Golden Hawk was a beautiful car with an older restoration, but still looked great. I was very surprised the auction went up to 80 K. The owner, as I'm sure we all are guilty of overestimating our car's value, felt the car was worth 150 K to the right buyer.

wolfie
05-19-2011, 01:29 PM
The episode of "What's My Car Worth" aired yesterday featuring a "56 two tone Golden Hawk, Packard engine with 2 - 4 barrel carbs. The auction house and experts pegged the car's value between 100 - 150 K. Bidding stopped @ 80 K. Have some Stude's started to gain some financial respect? The Golden Hawk was a beautiful car with an older restoration, but still looked great. I was very surprised the auction went up to 80 K. The owner, as I'm sure we all are guilty of overestimating our car's value, felt the car was worth 150 K to the right buyer.

Sounds like the car sold at Barrett Jackson? several months ago. It was hyped as 1 of 3 or 4 made with the dual 4bbl set-up in pre-auction media releases. I didnt follow the entire thread about it and couldnt find it now but I am pretty sure the guys here determined the carb setup and maybe the entire engine setup wasnt original to the car. At any rate my opinion is $80K was a pretty strong sale for the car. Steve

sweetolbob
05-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Sounds like the car sold at Barrett Jackson? several months ago. It was hyped as 1 of 3 or 4 made with the dual 4bbl set-up in pre-auction media releases. I didnt follow the entire thread about it and couldnt find it now but I am pretty sure the guys here determined the carb setup and maybe the entire engine setup wasnt original to the car. At any rate my opinion is $80K was a pretty strong sale for the car. Steve

Steve

I believe the BJ car was a red supercharged 57 GH. If my memory of the 56 on TV tuesday is correct it was not even in #1 condition. It did look good on TV though.

Bob

plwindish
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
You are right. Bill Stevens said a couple of pieces of the stainless trim had looked like they had been bent and repaired, but not replaced. He also had pointed out the rocker panel trim did not line up on the driver's side. He did give it a # 2. Collectibility was a C. It was stated that there only a very few of the 2 - 4 barrel set-ups. This may have been a Goodings Auction. It sounded like the owner had had it for a number of years, not doing the restoration himself. He did talk about taking the car out occasionally and getting it up to 120 mph.

wolfie
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Steve

I believe the BJ car was a red supercharged 57 GH. If my memory of the 56 on TV tuesday is correct it was not even in #1 condition. It did look good on TV though.

Bob

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL11&ID=r281

This is the one I was thinking of. It was an RM/Auctions America auction, not BJ as I said earlier. I didnt find the post about what it actually brought but the auction had touted $175K before the sale. Steve

EDIT: I see where this one brought a high bid of $80K. Steve

White Hawk
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I am partial to 1956 Golden Hawks: however, $80,000.00 for a less than perfect car is way over the top!

All 56 Golden Hawks came off the factory line with one 4-barrel carb. The dealer could set you up with dual 4-barrel, but it is not factory.

Welcome
05-19-2011, 04:13 PM
>>>All 56 Golden Hawks came off the factory line with one 4-barrel carb. The dealer could set you up with dual 4-barrel, but it is not factory.

Having been in the vehicle manufacturing field around South Bend over a third century, I quickly learned NEVER-SAY-NEVER when it comes to some unusual & off-the-records sort of vehicles!!!:rolleyes:

In just the past week I was shown (courtesy of a fellow Forum member;)) original Studebaker Plant drawings that now even cast doubt on which Studebaker Plant the '56 Golden Hawks were built in!!! And ...if we do not even know which Plant & Assembly Line, how can we say for certain none had dual 4-barrels:confused:

PackardV8
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Having been in the vehicle manufacturing field around South Bend over a third century, I quickly learned NEVER-SAY-NEVER when it comes to some unusual & off-the-records sort of vehicles!!!
In just the past week I was shown (courtesy of a fellow Forum member) original Studebaker Plant drawings that now even cast doubt on which Studebaker Plant the '56 Golden Hawks were built in!!! And ...if we do not even know which Plant & Assembly Line, how can we say for certain none had dual 4-barrels

How can we say for certain none (of the '56 Golden Hawks) had dual 4-barrels? Because factory production orders exist for each 1956 Golden Hawk and no one making the claim of the special order dual 4-bbls has ever shown one shred of proof it happened!

I've owned and worked on '56Js for fifty years now. During that time, I've heard this same assertion, "This was a special order and Studebaker built it that way" at least once a year. A couple of times, to save friends who were considering buying a car from being taken in by that BS, I've paid for the production order copies myself. Naturally, there was nothing on the production order. Until someone comes up with factory documentation, the "special-order-one-of-only-four-with-dual-4-bbls" will remain a Studebaker urban legend.

Bottom line - OK, never say never, but verifiable proof hasn't surfaced in fifty-five years, we'll so continue to say, "don't claim it until you can prove it."

jack vines

fstst56
05-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Well,
I have a 56J with a new engine but still needs bodywork and interior.
I've rebuilt the brakes too, but they're not right. Pulls to the right.
Anyway, I sure hope their worth $80,000.00 and above, but I've
not been able to sell mine for for just what I have in it which is around $8,000.00
I've been told the engine work alone can run $7500.00.

fstst56

Bill Pressler
05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I agree with Jack. If any were built by Studebaker, it would certainly be noted on the production order, which Frank Ambrogio I'm sure would have known about by now. (Frank runs the terrific '56 Golden Hawk website.)

Matter-of-fact, several years back I bought from Frank's site, a disk with all '56 GH production orders re-typed on them. Reasonably priced, and interesting. It was cool in that I could key in as a search my hometown and the two they sold popped right up.

Speaking of my hometown dealer, they sold a solid black one which they installed the dual four-barrel carb setup on, back in their Service Dept. The original owner's name was Bill Tam but no idea whatever happened to the car. In NW PA, I think I have a hunch!

mbstude
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
My favorite 56J story is about the one that came from the factory with a 374.. The only one!

Back in the 70's, a friend of mine restored a '56 Golden Hawk with a bad engine. He found a running 374 and re-stamped the engine numbers into that block, so it'd look correct as he was building a show car. He finished the car, life happened and he sold it. Fast forward to present day.. My friend is back in SDC, with another '56J. His first Hawk still exists and the present owner is doing a restoration and miraculously finds that the engine, with the correct number, is a 374. Word spreads that this car is the only one ever built with that engine!

Shortly after, my friend stepped up to the plate and brought the real history to light.. Just so happened that he was back in the loop after all those years; otherwise the truth might never be known.

Welcome
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM
>>>Bottom line - OK, never say never, but verifiable proof hasn't surfaced in fifty-five years, we'll so continue to say, "don't claim it until you can prove it." jack vines

OK, I'll bite; What would you consider being "verifiable proof" now that 55 years have ticked by???;)

BTW, I am not suggesting any 56J's were "Factory Ordered" with a 2 fours set up, but I certainly would suggest at least one had to have been installed ...most likely in Studebaker's or Packard's Engineering Dept.

DavidValk
05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
To be fair it wasn't far from perfect. There was some minor panel mis-alignment, which is probably 'factory correct' for that year. What's funny to me is that he passed on 80K for it.

It looked like there was also a 55' President? behind them during the shoot.

studefan
05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
How does the $80K 56J compare to this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-Show-Winner-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb80561d3QQitemZ260785398227QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

plwindish
05-19-2011, 10:34 PM
I like the color scheme on the ebay car a little better than the one on the show. IMAGINE THAT!! Another possibly very rare Packard motor with the 2 - 4 barrel set - up!!!! It makes you wonder how many were converted through the dealerships or otherwise. Calling all parts guys, was the dual quad intake manifold a Studebaker-Packard Factory parts option? By the way, I think the Buy it now price of $42 K is a little aggressive. The 56J at the auction probably had a reserve around $100 K. Other than some very special Studes and Avanti's, has anyone heard of sales going that high for Studes? I know if I had that car and was offered $80 K, I would quote Jerry McGuire, "Show me the money!"

PackardV8
05-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Calling all parts guys, was the dual quad intake manifold a Studebaker-Packard Factory parts option?
The 2x4-bbl intake was original equipment on the '55-56 Packard Caribbean. Thus, it was a Packard Parts Catalog item. Hundreds of the intakes were sold by S-P Parts Departments and most of them were installed on '56Js. Some were dealer-installed and some were owner installed.

FWIW, the '55 Caribbean engine was a 352" and the '56 was a 374". Thus, the hottest possible '56J using factory parts would have had a '56 Caribbean 305hp engine installed.

jack vines

Welcome
05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
<<<IMAGINE THAT!! Another possibly very rare Packard motor with the 2 - 4 barrel set - up!!!! It makes you wonder how many were converted through the dealerships or otherwise.<<<

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...fCarsQ5fTrucks

This is at least the 3rd trip to eBay for this 56J, so maybe if you see it enough times it gives the impression there are many of them!;) FWIW, the same underhood pics. used this time around were also used for its July 2009 eBay appearance.

JDP
05-20-2011, 12:11 AM
The factory actually assigned part numbers to a power pack for the 56J, but it never went into production. As to what engineering did, who knows since they did lots of stage stuff. As I've posted before, I bought a lot of stuff from a Studebaker engineer that never saw production. i.e. he had a late 50's fuel injection set up, and a few of the big blocks to mention two.