Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Id this engine

Hi all,
    I've been looking all over trying to figure out how to decode these numbers, can I get some help?
    Casting number: 1554641 engine number: 3EJ312?
    Here are some pics too:
    Mark
    Attached Files

Quoted from " http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp "
    3E, 5E, 6E, or 7E followed by a letter and 3 numbers = truck engine with displacement as shown above (3E=259) The date of manufacture was indicated by a letter representing month, a single digit for the year (3=1963, 4=1964), and two digits for the day. The month is represented by a letter as follows: A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, F=Jun, G=Jul, H=Aug, J=Sep, K=Oct, M=Nov, N=Dec. The 312th in that series.

Comment

Thanks much appreciated

Comment

312th ?

Actually a Std. 259 Truck Engine, built on Sept. 12, 1963 for 1964 year model production. It is not the 312th of anything.

Interesting that it has an Avanti R1 or R2 CHROME Valve Lifter Cover on it, I wonder if other Jet Thrust or Avanti Parts lurk on it, or in it?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich thanks for sorting it out, I read the explanation three times trying to understand it but it didn't come clear to me until I read your explanation.

Comment

I polluted a few stock Stude engines with a $45 R1 chrome kit from SASCO back in the early seventies...
            Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Actually a Std. 259 Truck Engine, built on Sept. 12, 1963 for 1964 year model production. It is not the 312th of anything.
            Interesting that it has an Avanti R1 or R2 CHROME Valve Lifter Cover on it, I wonder if other Jet Thrust or Avanti Parts lurk on it, or in it?
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
              StudeRich thanks for sorting it out, I read the explanation three times trying to understand it but it didn't come clear to me until I read your explanation.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                I polluted a few stock Stude engines with a $45 R1 chrome kit from SASCO back in the early seventies...
                Jeff
                Lots of those "Engine Dress-up Kits" were sold back in the Day, by the original SASCO and Newman & Altman, but if memory serves all of mine were, CHROME; Valve Covers, Oil Caps, Washers & Acorn Nuts, lower and upper dipstick tubes and dipstick, no Valley Cover.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The PO said it was an R1, not sure though as the block is a 259
                  The heads are casting number 1557570 which are R1 (and others)
                  It has a 4-barrel maifold (which I know you can make) and the stainless Avanti exhaust manifolds. Looks like an R1 clone engine, or maybe its a rebuild of a R1 w/ a cracked block or something? It runs strong and has decent pickup, even with a 3.31 rear end.
                  I guess I won't know for sure unless I pull the pan and take a look at the crank.
                  Mark
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by marks914; 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Stainless Avanti exhaust manifolds? Pics?
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Cranks in all 289's and 304's are the same, what will tell the story for an R1, is the flat top Pistons with the correct 289 crank forging numbers. The baffled Oil Pan would be the correct one, with the large breather tube coming up from the right side.

Does it have the thick harmonic balancer with the 24 degree timing mark plate on the Timing Gear Cover?

There should be no need to pull it apart, depending on just how many of the correct parts have been installed on the 259 Block.
                      You can SEE the flat pistons from the spark plug holes, and measure the stroke.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I suspect he means the stainless plug wire covers ala Avanti

Comment

I'll take some pics of the exhaust manifolds, thay appear to be stainless and semi-tubular cast parts, but they look like some polishing would clean up well
                          The harmonic balancer is pretty thick, Ill snap some pics of that too, have not checked out the breather on the oil pan, I'll take a look tonight.
                          Mark
                          Last edited by marks914; 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

ah - custom headers? that piques my interest

Comment

Here are some pics of the exhaust manifolds, and the balancer.
                              The maifolds are definately not iron, as the pits in the corrosion are silver, not rusted, so who knows? You can see where some areas still have a polished look

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X