Contol Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Contol Valve

I have a 1963 Cruiser R-1 that I may need a steering control valve. What years and models will interchange. Is the Avanti valve the same?

Originally posted by gmax336 View Post
    I have a 1963 Cruiser R-1 that I may need a steering control valve. What years and models will interchange. Is the Avanti valve the same?
    Yes. If you need a valve I saw a NOS one at South Bend SI.... a mere $650 They are easily rebuilt. Search this forum there are some "How to" posts on rebuilding yours

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

To answer the original question, control valves from all 61-64 Lark types will interchange. Part number 1551363. Be aware that they all look alike, and they all rebuild the same way, but there are differences between your control valve and those used on earlier models and on C/K models.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          To answer the original question, control valves from all 61-64 Lark types will interchange.
          What about 65/66 Larks and 65-83 Avantis?

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I knew someone would ask that question and I should've gone ahead and looked up those part numbers, too. The 65-66 Lark types use the same control valve (1551363) as the the 61-64 Larks. The Avanti control valve is unique and will not interchange with any other models.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

First off the Avanti valve is not 100% unique..........the only difference is the inlet port size.........indeed years ago my dad needed a valve for his Avanti and they were NLA...........not to worry...........Mr. God himself, Dave Spilski provided a different valve, just had to obtain port inserts from a trans shop.......then good to go!

Also I know many claim the valves can be rebuilt........but what do you consider rebuilt? Spool Valve seals?? Yes this will ameliorate a generalized leak........but what about if the inside diameter of the valve had been increased over the years? Spool valves do not come oversize like piston rings........and the process of spraying liquefied metal in that valve, then cutting down is completely out of the question financially.

My uncle was a machinist and metallurgical engineer, retiring in the early 70's.........that is how my dad and consequently I found out all the 'dope' concerning control valves..............FoMoCo gear heads suffer the same problems with some of the FoMoCo line of cars from back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                I knew someone would ask that question and I should've gone ahead and looked up those part numbers, too. The 65-66 Lark types use the same control valve (1551363) as the the 61-64 Larks. The Avanti control valve is unique and will not interchange with any other models.
                Yea the inlet ports are different;-(

Comment

I rebuilt the control valve in my wife's grandfathers 64 Ford Fairlane...........luckily it had spent over twenty years in dry storage and had so many leaks that there was not corrosion in the valve A word to the wise, be sure to polish the seal surfaces before reassembly. I didn't and was able to repeat the process There are some YouTube videos on doing it, which helps understand the process and some discuss the issues on corrosion and where it can be a problem. I have a small lathe and chucked the spool valve in the lathe (carefully) and used 2000 grit paper and oil followed by a polish with cloth and polish, the second time was successful. The cost for the kit was very low....even for two of them
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3864.JPEG
Views:	148
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1909818

Comment

Yep, spool valve seals and a good polishing. i used a length of all thread and nuts and chucked the spool in a drill press, same process to shine 'er up! Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                    X