63 GT Hawk needs tranny updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 63 GT Hawk needs tranny updated

Does anyone out in Studieville know what automatic overdrive tranny can be adapted to a '63 289 with full flow oil filter? i know there is an adapter for the earlier v8's with canister oil filters but if the starter has to be moved to the right side will a remote filter kit allow enough room for the starter? Any ideas or comments?
    Thanks

Suggest a search. There are at least fifty previous threads about adapting GM 700R4 and 2004R transmissions to full-flow Studebaker V8s. Not necessary to cover the same ground yet again.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Search

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Suggest a search. There are at least fifty previous threads about adapting GM 700R4 and 2004R transmissions to full-flow Studebaker V8s. Not necessary to cover the same ground yet again.

jack vines
        Thanks for that. i just joined the forum and I will try and find the info. I have been a Studie owner since the 60's and a member of SDC for a long time but I never thought of an update until now with the crazy increase in fuel prices. I drive my Hawk quite often and this would make a big difference.
        Dennis K.

Comment

Starter does not get moved to the right side on any of the adapters out there including the one I market.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Welcome, Dennis,

I never thought of an update until now with the crazy increase in fuel prices. I drive my Hawk quite often and this would make a big difference.
            Better do the math. How many miles do you drive your Hawk? My experience has been you can expect a 2-3 MPG improvement at highway cruise with the overdrive. How many years will it take you to recoup the $2000-2500 the conversion costs to do it correctly?

Paying for the conversion with fuel savings is not likely, but having said that, an overdrive makes it a completely different car. The lowered engine noise on the highway makes a much more pleasant journey.

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM.
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X