38 Transmission Stolen - Need Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 Transmission Stolen - Need Replacement

A week ago I brought my 38 Transmission, bell housing & linkage to a local transmission shop to have it checked out. Yesterday owner of shop called and reported someone had stolen the transmission - anyone have a 38 transmission/bell housing/linkage for sale? If so please contact me at 817-657-9778. Thanks

Dang!

What is it with the '38s all of a sudden?

First Andy Hess here in Indianapolis has his whole 1938 Commander stolen in January, and now this.

Are we missing something? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Dang!

YES :: 1938 was by far the best looking Studebaker of them all . . . . ( P.S. I`ll be sleeping in mine tonight ) Just in case . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Dang!

What is it with the '38s all of a sudden?

First Andy Hess here in Indianapolis has his whole 1938 Commander stolen in January, and now this.
        Maybe Andy's '38 needed a new transmission?
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
          A week ago I brought my 38 Transmission, bell housing & linkage to a local transmission shop to have it checked out. Yesterday owner of shop called and reported someone had stolen the transmission - anyone have a 38 transmission/bell housing/linkage for sale? If so please contact me at 817-657-9778. Thanks
          Sounds suspicously like an "inside job"...........maybe the owner has a good buddy with a late-'30s Studebaker?
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

i would say ALWAYS check the reputation of the shop. all it takes is one bad apple.
            57 President, 58 Packard Hawk, 61 MGA

Comment

File a police report and have police dept. record stolen transmission and question the shop. Also demand the shop file this with their insurance company for reimbursement to you. If they refuse find out who they are insured with and submit a copy of the police report with the shop owner's insurance company.
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                File a police report and have police dept. record stolen transmission and question the shop. Also demand the shop file this with their insurance company for reimbursement to you. If they refuse find out who they are insured with and submit a copy of the police report with the shop owner's insurance company.
                That is very good advice. Some of the best I have heard. Good Luck

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Was it only your transmission that is missing or were there others?
                  Tom
                  sigpic

Comment

It sounds to me like sheer carelessness on the shop's behalf. I suspect they left it outside overnight, believing its not a 'desirable' transmission like a T-10 or a newer 5-speed, and figured it wouldn't get touched. Of course the price of scrap steel, and the weight of it proved otherwise.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I was just going to say the same. Scrap is high right now. Here its $250 a ton. Thats about 12 cents a pound. It pretty easy to load $500 worth of scrap onto a trailer
                      sals54

Comment

Hi. I have a '37 Dictator transmission available. I have not checked the interchange, so I don't know if it is correct for a '38. At least I'm close to you relatively speaking. I'm about 250 miles east of Ft Worth. Tom

Comment

I would also encourage you to file a report / claim against the transmission repair shop.

One day, I came home from work and there was an oil trail leading into my driveway, then back out again. (regretfully from a 3 week old, 1500 kilometer brand new car!) A garage had put the wrong oil filter on the car, and it had fallen off. They towed it to the shop, broke the seized engine free with a pry bar, and told me everything was OK. They did not want to "bother" the insurance company, and after all, they changed the oil again for free!.

I took it back to the dealer, and promised to pay if they didn't find anything. The new engine was very messed up inside, and I ended getting a new engine for the car, courtesy of the garage's insurance.

To replace this 1938 transmission, you will be out time, money and aggravation. They will have coverage.

Comment

If you don't mind shipping costs go to www.HawkTalks.com. One of our members was trying to give away a 36 6cyl with the trans still bolted to it.

Comment

Hi. I checked my parts books today and apparently the '37's and '38's are different. Parts numbers for transmission cases and internal parts that I checked are different. Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X